Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS Upgrade

My sister has an older iMac and she has asked me to help her upgrade her OS. Unfortunately, I'm a Windows guy, so I don't have much experience with MAC OS upgrades.

She has Leopard currently installed (10.5.8) and as I understand it, I need to purchase Snow Leopard from the Apple store and after I get that installed, then I can upgrade to El Capitan (no charge).

1. Is this sequence correct?

2. Are there any problem areas that I need to be wary of while doing the upgrades (i.e. will she lose programs/data, do I need to backup her system prior to the upgrade, etc.)?

Thank you!

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 11:00 AM

9 replies

Feb 1, 2016 11:15 AM in response to Cultcab

So we know more about it...

At the Apple Icon at top left>About this Mac, then click on More Info, then click on Hardware> and report this upto but not including the Serial#...

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 6 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.21f4

Apr 13, 2016 1:10 PM in response to BDAqua

I was finally able to get my sister's iMac updated with Snow Leopard, but I wasn't able to install El Capitan because she only has 1GB of RAM in her system. How difficult is it to upgrade it to 2GB? I have done this a few times on Windows systems but never on a MAC.

Here is the hardware overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.0 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 1 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.20f4

OS Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.