Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

battery swelling

My iPad nano screen started separating a few weeks ago... it still worked, no big deal. I just checked it today and the battery has swollen up and the entire iPod is separating. There is now a good 1/4" gap on the side and it looks like it's going to blow!

User uploaded file

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2017 7:28 AM

I have two iPod touch 6th gen and they both have this same problem, one is still under warranty and the other one is just 13 months old. This is not what I would have expected buying from any top of the lline retailer and if Apple does not recognize this issue I will be very disappointed in the brand.User uploaded file

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2017 7:28 AM in response to Sophiebecca

I have two iPod touch 6th gen and they both have this same problem, one is still under warranty and the other one is just 13 months old. This is not what I would have expected buying from any top of the lline retailer and if Apple does not recognize this issue I will be very disappointed in the brand.User uploaded file

Feb 12, 2016 4:13 PM in response to Mr. Mellow

Actually it is a known fact that worn electrical wiring can start house fires, cans of gasoline can ignite, lighting a cigarette while putting gas in your car can cause a fire, and batteries can swell. The first device I ever had that the battery did this and damaged the device was a transistor radio in the 1960's.

It doesn't make it a known defect.

Environmental issues can affect batteries such as using it too long when it is showing signs of failing, using it regularly outside its specified operating specifications (particularly heat), or the battery just fails. That does not constitute a known defect. And a swelling battery is not necessarily a fire hazard, chargers cause more fires than batteries.

Note that this was an iPod not a phone. It occurred outside of warranty. According to you how many years should Apple replace a device for free if the battery fails and begins swelling?

Sure glad you solved the OPs question with your misinformation.

Feb 12, 2016 2:51 PM in response to deggie

It's a known defect now. It's no secret that phone batteries have been acting up for years and even causing fires. What if this person's house burnt down as a result of this? Apple would settle out of court as fast and quietly as they could. This is how companies get backed into a PR corner. It's no sweat off Apple's back to replace this unit for free, which would be the right thing to do.

Feb 2, 2016 7:50 AM in response to rpotter1967

It isn't a "known defect". All batteries can fail and swell and there are many different factors that affect this. Most companies (at least all the MP3 player manufacturers I know of) will not offer an out-of-warranty replacement at all. If you battery fails and swells out of the warranty period they will be happy to sell you a new one at full price.

Feb 12, 2016 4:37 PM in response to Mr. Mellow

Not at all, I rarely look at my points.

How long ago did Apple do this? 5 years ago Apple changed their policies and removed most of the repair discretion that the Genius Bar workers had. I washed my first 6th Generation Nano and went in to do an out-of-warranty replacement. They replaced it for free. And there is no "known defect" for washing the Nano.

I looked at the picture. It is a classic battery failure. It can happen for many reasons. But just like the Nano the battery (which Apple doesn't make) is covered for one year unless you buy Apple Care. I recently had a rechargeable remote control do the same thing. What was I offered? Buy a newer model, full price.

The OP has gone to Apple like you did and they offered him the $75 out-of-warranty replacement. That is Apple speaking. My issue with your response is you are speaking of it being a "known defect" which is untrue. There is a recall on the battery for the iPhone 5 battery. That is for a known defect from Sony's battery.

This isn't.

Feb 12, 2016 5:06 PM in response to Mr. Mellow

You did notice that you said their was a "massive" recall of the 2nd Generation Nano and you took yours in. But you posted the recall for the 1st Generation Nano. I am quite familiar with that one so if you had spoken correctly I would have known about it. Apparently you had a 1st Generation Nano, the plastic one that also had the problem with scratching and you were in the second wave of replacements. During that recall only some of the Sony batteries were defective (your serial number had to be within a range) and it also included other devices (not Apple) that used the same battery. It was a known defect.

But it doesn't mean all the following batteries have a known defect. So show me the known defect notice for the 7th Generation Nano.

battery swelling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.