Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How To Migrate G5 to MacPro

I have a G5 with Mac OS 10.4 on it, which means no Time Machine. As I understand it, I could upgrade to 10.5, the most recent a G5 supports, if I had the 10.5 install disks, which I don't. So what's the best way to migrate the G5 to a MacPro? Is there any way to get OS 10.5 so I could do an upgrade, then migrate using Time Machine? Is there any other backup software that will let me move accounts without cloning the G5's hard drive or losing files or apps, as Time Machine does?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 1:50 PM

8 replies

Feb 4, 2016 8:27 AM in response to Niel

I tried that, and the permissions are all screwed up. It won't import Mail messages because the Mail folder has read/write permission for the other account on the computer. That's as far as I got, but I assume calendars, address book, and others will have the same problem. Not to mention all the System Preferences are gone.

Feb 7, 2016 8:44 AM in response to a brody

After more fiddling and multiple restarts, it appears that most everything has migrated successfully. The only thing, so far, that appears to have been lost are some, but not all, system preferences. I assume some were just not compatible. It worked, but it was definitely NOT as smooth a process as using Migration Assistant.

How To Migrate G5 to MacPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.