Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

estimation of file size

Hi guys. I have a question concerning how to predict file size when using compressor. (I use version 3.5.3, but I hope it's ok that I ask it here anyway, because I guess much is the same) The way I usually do it is to send a project from final cut to compressor, and then I export using H.264. The problem is that I can't find a good way to predict how big the file will get, so i often leaves me guessing. (On "summary" in the inspector window, it often says "Estimated size: unknown") If I for example don't want a file bigger than 2GB, this means I have to try again if the file turns out to be 2,3 GB. This is time consuming and probably idiotic too.

I guess I'm missing something. Another problem is that it seems there's no logic to why the file gets as big as it gets. I can export the same project with slightly different settings and one will be 32gb and the other 1gb, and I can't even see a difference. This happened when I tried to compressor quality to medium on one version and high on the other. Another time I exported two sequences that were approximately of the same length and I used the same settings, and still one file turned out to be 1,5gb and the other 10gb. Why is it like this?

I also wonder if I should limit the size by choosing on the compressor quality scale, between least, low, medium, high and best or if I rather should use the "Data rate: restrict to:" What is the difference. I would very much appreciate some advices.

Best, Petter

Final Cut Pro 7, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 4:20 PM

There are no replies.

estimation of file size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.