Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is my album

I just purchased an album from iTunes. Why won't it sync to my iPhone 5?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 4:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 9:16 PM

Your question is a bit vague; I'll make some assumptions about what you are asking. Are you syncing directly from iTunes library (on the Mac) to the iPhone (not using iCloud Music Library on iPhone)? If so, is Sync Music enabled on the iPhone's Music settings screen?

To check, select iPhone in iTunes (click its device button on horizontal bar) to show its settings screen in iTunes window. Along left side of window (in the sidebar), under Settings, click Music. To the right, you see the iPhone's Music settings screen. At the top, there is a checkbox for Sync Music. To turn ON automatic syncing, checkmark the checkbox.

NOTE: Any songs on iPhone that are not in your iTunes library (on the Mac) will be lost.

Unless your iTunes music library is small (it fits completely on the device), the best way to use automatic syncing is to create a new playlist in your iTunes library. You can call it iPhone Songs (or whatever you want). Add all the songs you want on the iPhone to this playlist (including that new album). Back on the iPhone's Music settings screen, below the Sync Music checkbox, choose to to sync Selected playlists, artists, albums, and genres. Below that, under Playlists, find and select (checkmark) that iPhone Songs playlist. You can select other items on those lists, if desired. When you click Apply, iTunes syncs your selection to the iPhone. Going forward, update that iPhone Songs playlist (add/remove songs) in your iTunes library. The iPhone does not need to be connected. The next time you connect iPhone (or click Sync if already connected), iTunes automatically updates your iPhone with the same changes.

If that is not the specific question you are asking, please post back with more details.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2016 9:16 PM in response to leppyapple

Your question is a bit vague; I'll make some assumptions about what you are asking. Are you syncing directly from iTunes library (on the Mac) to the iPhone (not using iCloud Music Library on iPhone)? If so, is Sync Music enabled on the iPhone's Music settings screen?

To check, select iPhone in iTunes (click its device button on horizontal bar) to show its settings screen in iTunes window. Along left side of window (in the sidebar), under Settings, click Music. To the right, you see the iPhone's Music settings screen. At the top, there is a checkbox for Sync Music. To turn ON automatic syncing, checkmark the checkbox.

NOTE: Any songs on iPhone that are not in your iTunes library (on the Mac) will be lost.

Unless your iTunes music library is small (it fits completely on the device), the best way to use automatic syncing is to create a new playlist in your iTunes library. You can call it iPhone Songs (or whatever you want). Add all the songs you want on the iPhone to this playlist (including that new album). Back on the iPhone's Music settings screen, below the Sync Music checkbox, choose to to sync Selected playlists, artists, albums, and genres. Below that, under Playlists, find and select (checkmark) that iPhone Songs playlist. You can select other items on those lists, if desired. When you click Apply, iTunes syncs your selection to the iPhone. Going forward, update that iPhone Songs playlist (add/remove songs) in your iTunes library. The iPhone does not need to be connected. The next time you connect iPhone (or click Sync if already connected), iTunes automatically updates your iPhone with the same changes.

If that is not the specific question you are asking, please post back with more details.

Feb 6, 2016 6:31 PM in response to leppyapple

leppyapple wrote:

I checked the box to sync voice memos but I still don't see anything. The only option I get is to sync voice memos. Where is the music settings screen supposed to appear?

Thanks.

You have iCloud Music Library enabled, therefore there is no option to sync Music as it is now all present via iCloud. If you bought an album it should appear on your device without having to sync to iTunes. Did you buy it under the same iTunes account which you're running iCloud Music Library with?

Feb 6, 2016 6:33 PM in response to leppyapple

Sorry I said "iPod" in last reply. I meant iPhone, and it should work the same, unless you have iCloud Music Library turned ON for the iPhone. If you have iCloud Music Library turned ON, then you sync songs to the iPhone from iCloud, not your Mac.

To check, on the iPhone, go to Settings -> Music. The "switch" for iCloud Music Library is there. Turn it OFF, if you want to sync songs directly from the Mac's local iTunes library.

Feb 6, 2016 9:20 PM in response to rockmyplimsoul

Sorry, just re-read your response here and I think that's it. I purchased the album on iTunes on my mac and my iCloud account on my phone was set up with a different account. I've been trying to move away from that account as it's my wife's account. However, I have since updated my iCloud account on the phone to the new one and there's still no sign of the album appearing.

When I open up the music app, I don't see any option to download or do anything with the cloud. Should I see an option somewhere.

Feb 6, 2016 9:21 PM in response to leppyapple

You don't have to turn it OFF. I'm just describing how to sync directly from the Mac, if that's what you want to do.

If you have iCloud Music Library turned ON on the iPhone, and it is also turned ON on the Mac, that new album should be in your iCloud Music Library. You should see the album's songs in My Music (in the Music app). You don't need to do anything to "sync" it. You can play the songs by streaming them from your iCloud Music Library. OR, if you want to download a copy of the songs to the iPhone, tap the "three dots" next to the album (or a song), and tap the cloud with down-arrow symbol next to the song. The album (or song) is downloaded to your iPhone.

Feb 7, 2016 10:41 AM in response to leppyapple

I did a search online and sure enough, it looks like I should have an option to check a box for iCloud Music Library under the Show Apple Music option. I appreciate all your help but at this point I'm ready to throw in the towel. I have spent about 10 hours since I purchased this album trying to figure out how to get it on to my iPhone. I work in IT and use computers a lot so I'm not a novice. I've purchased albums before and got them on to my iPhone although every time there's some sort of issue. This purchase has been the most frustrating. My blood is boiling at the utter stupidity of the iTunes application. It is a monumental piece of crap and the mind boggles at how it's so popular. I only need to use it once every couple of months and EVERY time, I have to go online, read documentation, try different options etc. I still do not understand how the whole mess works. Songs have disappeared and re-appeared. I have songs that I no longer want but can't seem to remove. I see warnings that if I do this or that, I'll lose my music etc. etc. I've had songs double up and then revert back to having one version. Are my songs on the cloud?? Probably; but there's certainly no clear way to see if they are. What does a checkbox mean beside a song? I have yet to understand this. In my simple mind, I assumed these are the songs you want synced and non-checked songs are not synced. Not the case it seems.

Next step is to see how I can get refunded and I'll go buy the CD.

Thanks for your time and for listening!!

Where is my album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.