Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I mirror an iPad/iPhone screen on a portrait TV screen through Apple TV?

I have a TV/display screen wall-mounted in portrait mode, and would like to know if it's possible to mirror an iPad to the screen in portrait through the Apple TV. Will the Apple TV naturally mirror the iPad screen in portrait mode, or is the 'native' display of the ATV set to landscape (if that makes sense)?

Apple TV

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 5:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 7:25 PM

And here is portrait...

User uploaded file

13 replies

Feb 3, 2016 7:03 PM in response to JoshuaDowton

Not sure I understand. Once you initiate AirPlay, the Apple TV menu "disappears" as its now displaying whatever is displayed on the iPad/iPhone.

http://www.apple.com/lae/airplay/

"Rotate from portrait to landscape and your audience sees that, too. AirPlay does it all wirelessly, so you can work the room or sit comfortably among the crowd. If you see it, so can they."

Feb 3, 2016 7:12 PM in response to Protodd

As I see it, there are at least a couple of possibilities with all of this:

1) The Apple TV has a 'native' landscape orientation, which means that only when the screen being mirrored is in landscape mode will the full TV screen be filled (and portrait display will only ever fill the height of the screen in landscape mode and there will be black bars on the side of the image for the rest of the screen space). If the TV screen is displayed in portrait mode, the image will be on its side;

2) The Apple TV has a 'native' landscape orientation, but only in regards to the Apple TV menu, which means that as soon as the Airplay functionality is engaged it won't really matter;

3) The Apple TV will accomodate to the orientation of the screen (no matter if it's mounted landscape or portrait, and this will be the case for both the menu and the Airplay mirroring, etc.).

I can live with 2) or 3), but 1) is going to be a real problem.

I don't know if any of this makes sense. Perhaps I'm overthinking it, but the first option is really going to be a problem (so I need to ensure it's not the case).

Feb 3, 2016 7:20 PM in response to JoshuaDowton

My suggestion. Take your iPad to the Apple Store and demo it for yourself. Or there is a14day return policy of you want to try it and have the option to return if it does not do what you want.

I am still not sure I understand the question. Once you initiate the AirPlay function it will "mirror" the display from the iPad to the connected tv/projector - what you see on the iPad is what you would see on the second display.

here is a photo of my airplay

User uploaded file

Can I mirror an iPad/iPhone screen on a portrait TV screen through Apple TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.