Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay won't connect to remote speakers

I have a mbp 10.11.3 and iTunes won't connect to my remote speakers through airplay. Nor will my Airfoil connect either. My other, older mbp will connect with airfoil, but iTunes won't connect on that machine. The machines connect on a network with two base stations. The Airport Express is around 12 years old and isn't supported in Airport Utility, so I don't think I can do much with that other than reset it, but if I do that, it may never connect to the network again. It is plugged into speakers with a 1/8th inch jack, and it gets its feed from ethernet that comes from a time capsule.

Anyway, any ideas about how to reconnect to the speakers from Airfoil and iTunes?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 6:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 6:46 PM

The Airport Express is around 12 years old and isn't supported in Airport Utility

From my experience the AirPort Express has about a 5 year "useful" life. If yours is 12 years old, congratulations! However, I would expect that with this fact it is probably failing and why you finding yourself resetting it. What are the model numbers of your base stations?

Are both of your MBPs running OS X El Capitan?

Let me make sure I understand your current network configuration. Please let me know which of the following are correct:

• Your current network consists of two AirPort Express base stations and a Time Capsule.
  • The Time Capsule is your "main" base station. That would be the one directly connected to your Internet modem by Ethernet.
  • One of the Express base stations is connected to the Time Capsule by Ethernet.
  • The other is configured to either extend the wireless range of the Time Capsule or just to join its wireless network. Which is correct?
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2016 6:46 PM in response to kathigitis

The Airport Express is around 12 years old and isn't supported in Airport Utility

From my experience the AirPort Express has about a 5 year "useful" life. If yours is 12 years old, congratulations! However, I would expect that with this fact it is probably failing and why you finding yourself resetting it. What are the model numbers of your base stations?

Are both of your MBPs running OS X El Capitan?

Let me make sure I understand your current network configuration. Please let me know which of the following are correct:

• Your current network consists of two AirPort Express base stations and a Time Capsule.
  • The Time Capsule is your "main" base station. That would be the one directly connected to your Internet modem by Ethernet.
  • One of the Express base stations is connected to the Time Capsule by Ethernet.
  • The other is configured to either extend the wireless range of the Time Capsule or just to join its wireless network. Which is correct?

Feb 3, 2016 6:46 PM in response to Tesserax

Thank you for asking such detailed questions. I'm certain you would have been able to help, so thank you for your response.

Turned out there were a couple of unrelated matters that coincided. The ISP's modem was gumming up the network, after which it failed. I replaced it and that solved one problem but seemed to have some impact one machine's connectivity but not the other's . At the same time, the difficulties with the wireless speakers arose. What seemed to solve the problem was changing speakers from the external ones, to the computer, then back to the external ones. After that Airtunes and Airfoil connected as ever. Same solution with the other machine. Regardless, thanks.

Airplay won't connect to remote speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.