Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do certain songs always download?

I'm having a very good experience with iTunes match. I've noticed that whenever certain songs get played while shuffling, they *always* get automatically downloaded to the phone. This doesn't happen with everything, just certain songs. When I view the iCloud status of the songs in iTunes, they each are "matched". Any idea of why this happens?

Windows XP

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 6:31 PM

3 replies

Feb 3, 2016 6:31 AM in response to smamm

Hi smamm,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! I'm sure we can help you out with your question. I'm a bit unclear on exactly what you are seeing or describing, but it sounds like you may be talking about local or offline copies of songs from iTunes Match (iCloud Music Library). If that is the case, or you want to check and see if the songs you have noticed are set for offline listening, you may find the information in the following article helpful:

Listen offline

You can download songs—including songs that you bought from the iTunes Store, added from Apple Music, or that were matched or uploaded with Apple Music or iTunes Match—to your device to listen to when you're not connected to the Internet:

1. Tap the More Options icon User uploaded file next to the item.
  2. Tap the download icon User uploaded file to the right of the song's artwork at the top of the More Options menu, or tap Download from the bottom of the menu.
  3. The song downloads to your device.

To see music that you downloaded to listen to offline, go to My Music. Under the Recently Added section, tap the category selector (Artists, Albums, etc.). Only Downloaded Music is at the bottom of the category list. When this setting is on, My Music shows only songs that you downloaded to your device. Turn this setting off to see all of your music, including music stored in iCloud Music Library.

When you view an item that you've downloaded to your device, you'll see an offline icon User uploaded file near it, but its exact location varies. For example:

• If you download an entire album or playlist, the offline icon appears when you're looking at the album or playlist in My Music. You'll also see an offline icon when you view a compilation, but not when you view specific genres, artists, or composers.
  • If you download a song, the offline icon appears to the right of each song title.
  • If you download songs from an album, but not the entire album, the offline icon appears to the right of just the songs that you downloaded.

Using the new Music app - Apple Support

Cheers

Feb 3, 2016 5:29 PM in response to brenden dv

I am indeed referring to offline copies of songs in my iTunes library that have been downloaded locally to my iPhone. The question was this:

When streaming music via iTunes match (on shuffle mode), when certain songs play, they always download automatically to my iPhone. Literally every time. Out of 1000 songs, there are about 10 that do this. The other 990 songs do not automatically download locally. If I remove the offline copy, the next time that the song comes up in shuffle, it will download again automatically. Every time.

It's so weird, there's got to be an explanation for this.

Why do certain songs always download?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.