Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac dual 4k display

I have a new (early 2016, iMac) and want to connect two 4k (3840 x 2160) displays. I can't find definitive guidance on how to do this. The monitors have 2x HDMI, 2x DP & DVI inputs. Some sources seem to say that HDMI is limited to 1080p...is that just older variants? What adapters are needed for this?

Thanks,

Allen

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 7:44 PM

Hello isdera,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

If you want to connect another display or two to your iMac, the following article should provide you some basic information to get you started.

OS X El Capitan: Connect multiple displays to your Mac

Best regards.

2 replies

Feb 3, 2016 7:49 PM in response to jeffd55

Thanks Jeff. The link provides basic info; I was able to find other sites that provided the actual cable limitations. Turns out Standard HDMI is limited to 1080i, but HD HDMI can run 1080p and resolutions up to 4096 by 2160, but at a maximum refresh rate of just 24Hz. The Thunderbolt to DisplayPort can handle 3840 by 2160 pixels at a refresh rate of 60Hz, and it supports all common 3D video formats. Sounds like I'll need a Thunderbolt to DisplayPort.

iMac dual 4k display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.