Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can no longer share ringtone to iTunes? Help!

Hi all,

I attempted to share a ringtone to iTunes via Garageband today, but it seems as it wasn't working. The ringtone did not appear in the "tones" window within iTunes, not did it appear in the "tones" folder in my iTunes library. I was able to do this in the past, but it seems as though it's no longer working. I have read in various threads that recently, sharing things to iTunes has been buggy. Additionally, sharing songs directly to iTunes via Garageband no longer works. Exporting the song to the disk works just fine, but I can't export to m4r format.

I'm currently using:

OSX 10.11.3

Garageband 10.1.10

iTunes 12.3.2.35

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7

Posted on Feb 1, 2016 9:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 4:33 PM

Try this work-around:

• Share the song to the disc in .aac format
  • rename the shared song and change the filename extension to .m4r
  • add the song to iTunes with "File > Add to library"

Just make sure, the duration of the song is less than 30 seconds.

3 replies

Feb 4, 2016 5:12 AM in response to PaBRO

PaBRO wrote:

That worked!

However, it doesn't address the fact that any of the "send to iTunes" functions in Garageband do not seem to be working.

Why is this happening?

It started after the directly iTunes update. And it is probably a bug. On one of my Macs, where I am using the new Beta version of MacOS X 10.11.4 Beta, sharing of songs and ringtones directly to iTunes is working again. The next software update will probably fix it for you.

Can no longer share ringtone to iTunes? Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.