Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I shuffle by album in the car?

Hi, when I'm in the car I like to listen to the contents of my iPod Classic shuffled by album. i.e. I want to listen to whole albums at a time and not have to bother about selecting one after another. In my previous car I just set the iPod on shuffle by album and connected to the the car's MP3 player input via the iPod's headphone minijack. That car didn't know it was an iPod.

My new car only has USB connections so the car knows it's an iPod and I am restricted to the car's iPod interface controls, which don't give the option of album shuffle. Is there anyway I can make it happen?

I think what I need is an album randomised playlist in iTunes to sync to the iPod. I assume that if I could create one I would then just be able to select this playlist in car's iPod interface and hit play.

So, if I'm right, and please correct me if I'm not, I think my question is, how do I create a playlist, in iTunes, of my entire music library shuffled by album?

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 12:00 AM

3 replies

Feb 2, 2016 1:17 AM in response to Ifor Phillips

You'll have to look at your car stereo system's documentation. In more recent car audio systems that work with iPod's, the iPod is being used as a storage device that holds song files, like a USB flash drive. The car audio system is doing the playing of songs, not the iPod. So any control or setting to shuffle songs would be on the car audio system's interface. The iPod is only supplying the song files.

How do I shuffle by album in the car?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.