Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'sound' symbol displayed with white circle and arrow

My mac mini (late 2012, 2.5 ghz, 16 gb mem) started playing up late last night. It's displaying the sound symbol and shows the white squares all completed indicating the sound volume is full but it still plays a noise as if I'm holding down the sound key. I've swapped keyboards in case it was a keyboard fault but it makes no difference and it's driving me crazy! Even if I plug in external headphones it still does the same.

If I access sound system preferences and turn down the volume it then just goes back up as if I was still holding down the volume increase key. Does anyone have any ideas?

thanks

sharon

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), late 2012, 2.5 ghz, 16 gb mem,

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 3:38 AM

2 replies

Feb 2, 2016 3:43 AM in response to sharonfromsomewhere

- Try cleaning out/blowing out the headphone jack. Try inserting/removing the plug a dozen times or so. There is a little switch in the headphone jack that disconnects the speaker when the headphone jack is inserted.

Fix for iphone Earphone Bug

- Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About NVRAM and PRAM

- Try starting in Safe Mode

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

- Boot to Recovery and repair the startup disk

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

Feb 2, 2016 5:13 AM in response to lllaass

Thanks very much for your assistance. I tried all of the above and nothing worked, then I read that a bluetooth keyboard could have the key stuck down. At that point I realised that I'd swapped keyboards over ( from a bluetooth to a wired) but I hadn't disconnected the bluetooth keyboard. As soon as I switched it off my problem was resolved.

However I'm very sad as it means my original apple bluetooth keyboard is no longer useable. I'll miss it so much - it had a full size numbers keypad and clacky keys 😢

'sound' symbol displayed with white circle and arrow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.