Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Previous iTunes Libraries folders missing

I am in a mess again!

After windows 10 and itunes 12 .3 my music is a mess. I have lost all playlists and while trying to restore some of the many backups that I had they too are a mess and one is even empty now. So I thought I will go to my back up that I made with Acronis the end of 2014 because I did not really make any changes since then. I just found out that I cannot install my Acronis software from 2011 on Win 10. Too hard to explain all - I cannot even remember all of the things I have tried to do.

I have seen many people saying to go your Previous iTunes Libraries. I have looked and searched through my computer and backups and there is not one previous library.

Should I maybe check something that might be hiding them?

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 3:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 5:59 AM

This folder would normally be inside your main iTunes folder. See Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash for how to use it. If it isn't there then you could be looking in the wrong place, or you may have failed to migrate the library properly from an older system.

tt2

12 replies

Feb 3, 2016 7:53 AM in response to turingtest2

I did see a previous post of yours which recommended to do a search for *.itl which is logical. Unfortunately it came up with many files but they were from 2009-2011. I know I did many more backups since 2011, - puff....they are gone. Except I did find one on my small external which I did not think had that many songs on it but I did what you said in your above link just to see. I now have my music back with 700 duplicates which is okay because it is easy to delete them, but there are no playlists.

Also, in my Music / iTunes folder I now have a folders for:

- Album Artwork

- iTunes Media. and in this folder I have :

• Album Artwork
  • Audiobooks
  • Automatically Add to iTunes
  • Mobile Applications
  • Music
  • Podcasts

My .itl file is now in Automatically Add to iTunes folder.along with Extras .itdb + Genius .itdb

Should I delete one of the Album Artwork folders? I am missing some artwork but I can go through them again to replace them.

Most importantly, I hope you have some magic to get my many playlists back.....please.

Feb 3, 2016 11:18 AM in response to megabytes

I'm mobile at the moment which makes it hard for me to track down references to pass on. Do you have an iPod or other Apple device that might hold your playlists? I have a script that may retrieve them if you do.

Compare the size and dates of the .itl file in your Automatically Add to iTunes folder with the one in the main iTunes folder. I suspect you've copied a whole library into the folder complete with its support files. If they haven't been deleted it should be possible to copy them somewhere safe and then access them there.

tt2

Feb 4, 2016 1:14 AM in response to turingtest2

Yes I have iPods and iPhones but I keep very few songs on them, mostly just to get me through the gym.

You are right again. I did copy the whole folder into Automatically Add to iTunes thinking maybe my playlists are hidden in there some place. I still have that backup I was telling you about where I found my music and I copied it onto another external just in case, even though I have no playlists. I am not sure what you mean in your last sentence though.

Should I delete the .itl in my Auto folder?

Where are the playlists stored?

Feb 4, 2016 2:19 AM in response to megabytes

megabytes wrote:

Should I delete the .itl in my Auto folder?

No, at least not unless there is a copy elsewhere.

Where are the playlists stored?

In the .itl file!

See the image in my user tip Make a split library portable for the standard layout of the iTunes folders. Ideally you would have restored the backup copy of your iTunes folder directly into the User's Music folder before you installed iTunes and then it would have been as if nothing had changed.

Close iTunes, open the iTunes folder, drag the library files and album artwork folder out to you desktop, then copy in the library files and album artwork folder from the backup. Fire up iTunes. It should spring into life with all your content and playlists as before. The exception might be if you had some podcast files that have been treated as music or home videos when added to the new library. I can help you get those reconnected if needs be.

tt2

Feb 5, 2016 10:05 AM in response to turingtest2

I did try, but no playlists and no artwork. I did not have any podcasts or movies so I will not need help with those.

Even though all of my CDs are in storage and will be there for a long time, I am going to start creating a new library from scratch again, somehow! I am sure I will have questions for you as I go along.

Do you think I should uninstall iTunes and re-download it just in case?

Feb 5, 2016 10:34 AM in response to megabytes

If the previous steps left you with an empty library rather than revealing your old one, close iTunes and put the files from the desktop back in the iTunes folder then start iTunes, or use File > Add Folder to Library to add the contents of iTunes Media to the library.

Uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes has no impact on the library, save for circumstances such as those outlined in Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash. If you have no .itl file you can revert to then see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device just to make sure you don't miss out on anything that could be usefully recovered from your devices.

tt2

Feb 23, 2016 4:23 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for your help and patience turingtest2!

I now have my music back with only about 600 missing (exclamation marks next to them). I did all that was suggested to find them, but they are gone. The only thing I can think of is maybe they are the ones on my iPod, so that your 'Recover' link is my next step.

There is some artwork missing but I will add some daily. My playlists are truly gone and that will take much more time to do because I had all of the songs in my library put onto a playlist....ugh.

I will let you know how it goes but I do know one thing for sure, I am going to use your SyncToy to back up this time: Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy and I will back up manually too just in case!

Previous iTunes Libraries folders missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.