Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I install OS X on a fresh HDD?

I've seen a few mac minis on ebay that for whatever reason don't have HDDs or RAM.

Firstly, if the price is right, is it worth picking one up and installing the RAM and HDD myself?

Secondly how difficult is it to install OS X on something new? Never done that. Would I just create a bootable USB?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 4:32 AM

1 reply

Feb 2, 2016 5:47 AM in response to jakersmith1919

Firstly, if the price is right, is it worth picking one up and installing the RAM and HDD myself?

Secondly how difficult is it to install OS X on something new? Never done that. Would I just create a bootable USB?

I would be suspicious about a Mac Mini regardless what year that didn't have RAM or HDD inside. If the Mac Mini is a late-2012 or earlier, it may not be difficult to install RAM or an SSD or HDD. Crucial and OWC (Macsales.com) have the most reliable RAM for Apple Macs. And OWC and iFixit (iFixit.com) have instruction videos for installing RAM and drives.

Depending on the year/model of the Mac Mini, some newer models from 2011 and above have Internet Recovery where you press Command+Option+R to reinstall the version of OS X that the Mac was shipped with. Earlier models had install DVDs with OS X. So, you have to know which one you have and if it's an older model, the seller should provide you with the install DVD.

Good luck!

How do I install OS X on a fresh HDD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.