Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help with OS X system with FCP 6.0.6

Hello everyone,

I have two questions:

1. Can someone tell me if it is safe to upgrade OS X system from 10.5.8 to current OS X (whatever that name is) when using Final Cut Pro (FCP) 6.0.6 software? I really need to play it safe and workable. I do not want the newer OS X to cause any conflict, interruption or interference of my movie editing project. I do not plan on upgrade the FCP version. I am very happy and content with the one I am using now.

2. I am currently using Safari 5.0.6 and I cannot find any downloadable button to allow me to upgrade the Safari app in my computer. Firefox is 16.0.2. I would like to use Chrome app but my OS X is not allowing me to use it yet. Where can I get the download for Safari newest version?

My Apple Mac Pro is:

2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Memory 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Please advise.

Thank you.

MacSoul84 :-)

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 6:32 AM

3 replies

Feb 2, 2016 9:03 AM in response to MacSoul84

1. No, it's not. FCP 6 came out 7-8 years ago, when 10.5.8 was out. It was replaced by FCP 7, that was best used on MacOS 10.6.8. FCP Legacy has now been discontinued and all OS updates don't take it into consideration in terms of workability. So every new release means less and less support. 10.9 broke Compressor and Motion from FCP 7...so I'm pretty sure the versions with FCP 6 don't work either. And there are issues of FCP 7 being fully funtional, some things won't work as well as they did under a supported OS.

Rule of thumb, if you need software to work, don't upgrade past the OS that best supports it. If you need the newer OS for other things, then it's best to get another hard drive, or partition your current one into two, so that your machine will then be Dual Boot.

2. The newest version of Safari won't work on the OS you have. Many newer apps require the newer OS to work. So if you want the newest, then the advice I gave above about partitioning/new hard drive with new OS would also apply here.

Feb 2, 2016 9:57 AM in response to MacSoul84

In addition to the above.

If you go down the " partitioning/new hard drive" route it looks as though you will need to install OS 10.6.8 on it first before you can install El Capitan.

It is to do with the App Store requirements.

See Older versions of OSX eligible for upgrade in this link

http://www.macworld.com/article/2985812/operating-systems/get-you-mac-ready-for- os-x-10-11-el-capitan.html

I believe you can still purchase Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on disc from Apple, you can in the UK for £15.Some countries might be more difficult.

Or just stop with 10.6.8 on the partition/new hard drive as I think that Chrome will run on this, but check first.

Feb 8, 2016 9:04 PM in response to MacSoul84

Hi MacSoul84

You don't state what model of Mac Pro you have, but I'm guessing it is MacPro 1.1 from 2006???

If you do decide to update, officially Apple limits you to 10.7.5 Lion for a MP1.1 & 2.1. With some modifications, and mild hack, you can run at least up to Yosemite and most likely El Capitan.

Better graphics card, faster boot drive(ssd) and more RAM would really improve your computer. I had a MP1.1 running Yosemite.

As for FCP6.0 see this thread and links near end Final Cut Pro Studio 2.0 Will Not Install on My 2015 iMac

Personally, I think there are some real incompatibility issues running FCSuite 6 and 7 on current OS. While 7 itself runs fine, other programs in the Suite don't.

You could however, install a later OS on a separate drive(after the mods) and boot into it whenever you want. That way you can preserve using FCP6 on say Lion, but have the ability to use a later OS, say Yosemite for other programs. Only an Option Key press away.

Hope this helps, Greg

Need help with OS X system with FCP 6.0.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.