Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ram Installation & Layout - Late 2015 iMac 27" 5K

Ordered a new mac (Late 2015 iMac 27" 5K Retina) with 8gb ram (2 x 4gb). I have since bought another 2 x 4gb of ram to make the mac 16gb. What is the optimal layout for the 2 stock pieces and the additional 2 pieces:

Stock 1, New1, Stock 2, New 2 or

Stock 1, Stock 2, New 1, New 2

Or it doesn't matter? Does it affect the dual channel as they are 2 matched pairs?

Thanks

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 5:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 5:40 AM

This is incredibly simple, install the new RAM in the empty slots and that is all you need to do. Nothing to worry about at all!!!!

4 replies

Feb 22, 2016 7:25 AM in response to jamiensurrey

bought 2 pieces of Crucial 8G RAM, together with the stock will be 4+4+8+8=24G of RAM.

when i opened up the RAM cover, it was stock1, empty1, stock2, empty2 (4,-,4,-).

installed them in the format of: stock1, stock2, new1, new2(4,4,8,8); even the Apple Support site didn't say anything about format or configuration!

after this, i could not power on the iMac... 😕😮😟

so quickly try to change them to stock1, new1, stock2, new2. (4,8,4,8) the iMac can power up. 😉

Lesson learnt: just install the new ones into the empty slots.

So there is actually so kind of configuration that we needed to follow? But Apple Support site did not mention any of these.

Now the RAM is upgraded from 8G to 24G.

However, i did a test to process a batch of 300 photos in Lightroom, it only improve timing from 9min 25sec to 8min 41sec, just a little bit faster, not impressive!

Ram Installation & Layout - Late 2015 iMac 27" 5K

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.