Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

optical or HDMI

I have just purchased the new Apple Tv "gen 4" and I have now realised that it has no optical output connection on it as I use a Bose Lifestyle for surround sound and this does not have HDMI and I have just purchased an expensive optical cable to get the best of my Apple Tv sound. Why does the new generation have no optical cable output

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 7:55 AM

12 replies

Feb 2, 2016 8:18 AM in response to murta54

Being a user forum no one here can answer "why" with any sort of confidence. My theory would be that since the ATV is designed for tv/movies and optical/toslink cannot support the new formats found in tv/movies (like 7.1) it was dropped from the new devices. In fact industry wide you will probably find less and less of the older Optical only devices as they are replaced with the industry standard audio/video via HDMI. but that's just my 2 cents as a user...

but their are work arounds for users like us who want to continue to use our older equipment - your tv may have optical out so you can run HDMI to tv and then optical to your receiver. You can by HDMI/optical splitter. You can upgrade your amp to be compatible with the new device you want to add to your home setup...

Feb 8, 2016 12:54 AM in response to Csound1

Thank you for your reply unfortunately I live in Ireland and I have tried Amazon UK but I am very reluctant to purchase a conversion box as I have tried a HDMI conversion box from Maplin Ireland (equivalent store Radio Shack) but this works ok for music only and not for a Film as it does not filter the sounds properly I am very disappointed with Apple and have decided to return my APPLE TV as I would like to keep using a BOSE Lifestyle sound system for the future, regards and thank you for your help

Feb 8, 2016 1:19 AM in response to Vinceassociate

I bought a HDMI audio extractor(A48QX) from a Maplin store(Radio Shack) but this works ok with music only and not when watching a film as it does not seem to send sounds to my amp which is a Bose Lifestyle I set it up as per instructions from APPLETV HDMIN IN-OPTICAL OUT to amplifier HDMI OUT to main Tv I bought a A48QX HDMI AUDIO EXTRACTOR from Maplins (Radio Shack) I am very disappointed with APPLE and have decided to keep my gen3 old APPLETV

Feb 8, 2016 5:04 AM in response to murta54

While I fully understand getting frustrated with something that should work perfectly out of the box - it is an Apple product, if you want to try a few final options consider this:

The fact you have a ATV3 which works fine is important. This points at the HDMI splitter. The one you bought should work fine. Make sure the mini switch on the splitter is set to TV and the settings on the ATV are set to Dolby Digital. Finally it is possible you have a defective splitter or ATV.

optical or HDMI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.