Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie 10 not opening

I have OSX10.9.5 and iMovie 10 has suddenly stopped working. I click on the dock icon and the program just won't open. the spinning beach ball shows up straight away. i have waited a few minutes for something to happen and when i go to do a force quit it shows application not responding. i have done this several times in the last 2 days. it will also not open from launch pad or applications.

I have looked for answers but I found nothing current. please help.

Thanks you

OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 8:20 AM

3 replies

Feb 3, 2016 12:50 PM in response to MBiff

Hello MBiff,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I see from your post that you're unable to open the iMovie application on your Mac. To get started with troubleshooting this issue I'd like you to please try and create a new iMovie Library when launching iMovie, and see if it opens.

Create a new library

1. Choose File > Open Library > New.

2. In the Save dialog that appears, type a name for the new library, and navigate to the location where you want to save it.

The default location is the Movies folder in your home folder.

3. Click Save.

A new library is created in the location you chose, and a new, empty event with today’s date is created.

iMovie (2013): Work with multiple libraries

If iMovie opens with the new library, then we know there's an issue with the structure of your other library. You will need to move your content from one library to another in the iMovie application, simply by clicking and dragging in the sidebar on the left.

Copy or move projects, events, or clips between libraries or hard disks

1. Connect a hard disk that contains the target library to your computer, or copy the target library to your computer.

2. Choose File > Open Library, and choose an option from the submenu.

You can choose from recently opened libraries at the top of the submenu, locate an existing library on your computer, or create a new library.

3. The selected library is opened in the Libraries list, with the first event selected and its contents displayed in the browser.

4. In the Libraries list, select the event that contains the item you want to move or copy.

5. In the browser, select the item you want to move or copy.

Note: To select multiple items, hold down the Command key as you click the items you want to select, or drag a selection rectangle around the items.

6. Do one of the following:

• To move items between events or libraries: Drag the clip or project to another event or library.

• To copy items between events or libraries: Option-drag the clip or project to another event or library by first starting to drag and then holding down the Option key as you drag.

If iMovie still refuses to open, then I'd next like you to create a new user account on your Mac, and see if you can open iMovie when logged in to it.

How to test with another user account

You can figure out if unexpected behavior is related to user file or setting by trying to reproduce the issue from another user account. This process includes creating a new user account, logging in to it, and testing for the issue.

Create a test user account

1. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
  2. Click the Users & Groups icon in the System Preferences window.
  3. Click the lock icon, then enter an administrator name and password.
  4. Click the Add button (+) below the list of users.
  5. Choose a type of user from the New Account pop-up menu.
  6. Give the user a full name, account name, and password.
  7. Click OK.
  8. Close the System Preferences window.

Log out of your current user account by choosing Log Out from the Apple menu, then log in to the new account you created. If you're prompted to sign in with your iCloud account or Apple ID when you log in, skip this step.

Try reproducing the issue

Try the same steps that caused the unexpected behavior to appear before.

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

If iMovie opens without issue in the new user, then we know there's something going on likely with the iMovie user files with your account. Please log back in to your user account, and open iMovie while holding down Command + Option on your keyboard. You should then be prompted to Delete Preferences, which I'd like you to click.

On the other hand, if iMovie doesn't open in the new user as well, then we're at the point where a reinstall of iMovie is needed. To reinstall the newest version of iMovie:

1. Start by opening the Mac App Store

2. Once in the Mac App Store, click on Purchases along the top to ensure iMovie is located there

*If iMovie is in your purchases, go ahead and quit the Mac App Store, and then you'll need to move the iMovie application from the Applications folder to the Trash. Don't worry, putting the application in the trash has no effect on your iMovie data. Once it is in the trash, go back to the Mac App Store and in Purchases you should see a Download or Install button next to iMovie. Click on that button to reinstall iMovie.

If iMovie is not showing in your purchases, follow the steps from the next article to accept them.

Accept your bundled apps

Follow these steps to accept bundled apps with your Apple ID.

1. Open the Mac App Store.
  2. Click the Updates tab.
  3. Apply any updates you see listed there.
  4. Click the Purchases tab.
  5. Click the Accept button next to each bundled app you see listed.
  6. Sign in with your Apple ID if prompted.

After you accept the apps, check the Updates tab of the Mac App Store again to see if any updates are available for these apps.

Accept bundled apps using the Mac App Store - Apple Support

If you are still not able to accept the apps, please continue working through the article.

Please let us know how this goes!

Take care.

Feb 7, 2016 5:15 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Hi, I've got a similar issue.

iMovie 10.0.9 is working fine on my iMac with Yosemite.

After upgrading to 10.1.1 I get a spinning beach ball at starting the app.

When I place back version 10.0.9 iMovie works again.

To investigate, I removed iMovie from the iMac with AppCleaner to make sure that all files get deleted.

Then I installed iMovie 10.1.1 from the AppStore: same issue, iMovie crashes at the welcome screen.

I have no idea how to solve this, so any help is much appreciated.

Feb 7, 2016 5:29 AM in response to MBiff

Thanks so much for your help.

Everything seems to be working fine now. i cleaned out the air inlet vents. and shut the computer down and left it over night. the next day it worked fine. so maybe it was just over heating.

I have now removed files and events from iMovie and fingers crossed all seems well.

I will keep the information you gave incase i have problems again.

imovie 10 not opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.