Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple AirPort Extreme BS as Verizon FIOS Modem/Router

Good day everyone,

Apple Support Community seems to be the best approach for this issue as I have tried Verizon and multiple FIOS communities with little luck.

My main questions revolve around this simple objective -- to use my own Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS) as a replacement to renting the standard Verizon FIOS modem/router option. I have found somewhat similar discussions such as this one (Airport Extreme and Verizon FIOS Router?), but each is more complicated than what I need. I am only looking for internet service, no TV or phone, so this should simplify the issue substantially.

Background of work I have done so far: I have run ethernet cable (cat6) from my my basement (where the ONT box is located) to where I would like the AEBS on the first floor. I have not plugged in the cat6 to the ONT box yet, but know I will need to call Verizon to transition my ONT box from coax to ethernet. Once Verizon does transition my box from coax to ethernet, I shouldn't need the standard router verizon provides. I have yet to sign up for Verizon internet service, and do not have their rented router.

So my questions are:

1. After I have verizon transition my ONT box from coax to ethernet, what are the steps to plugging in my AEBS and receiving service?

2. If I don't have a rental router from Verizon, do i still need to release my DHCP lease? If so what are the steps after doing so - is it as simple as releasing, plugging in the AEBS and then connecting my macbook pro to then set up my AEBS router settings?

3. Am I missing anything, this seems too simple, especially after reading other discussions.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks everyone.

My products:

Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station (ME918LL/A)

Verizon ONT Box I-211M-K

AirPort Extreme BS (ME918LL/A)-OTHER, Airport repacing FIOS router

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 8:37 AM

3 replies

Aug 13, 2017 7:27 AM in response to amsmith11

Same issue and question here. I want to replace the rented Verizon/FIOS modem/router with my Airport Extreme. Service is internet only so no TV or phone complications. I could use some step by step instructions as Verizon's technical support will be of no help on this.

Apple AirPort Extreme BS as Verizon FIOS Modem/Router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.