Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charter & Airport Extreme: random drops/disconnections

Okay, I'm at my wit's end with trying to get Charter to work with my Airport wifi...

After years of solid connectivity, my Asus modem started showing up as "disconnected" in Airport Utility. I have hard reset the modem, replaced the modem, replaced the coax to the modem, replaced the 6th gen AirPort Extreme (connected via wan to the modem), hard reset and rebuilt from factory defaults both that Airport and the 5th gen Airport (connected via Ethernet to the 6th and in bridge mode) and still keep having dropouts of either my modem or moments where my Airport 6th get suddenly seems to show now activity in Airport Utility.

I have connected a laptop directly to the Asus with no issues at all, so it's within my network. But I am stumped... And very frustrated.

I’m including some settings below, but any help would be appreciated… I don’t know what changed.

Oh, and both Airports are running the latest firmware for their respective models.

Thanks to any and all!

For the Airport Extreme 6th gen, connected directly to the modem via wan:

• Internet is connected via DHCP

Configure IPv6 is set to “Link-Local only” (I have checked and do not see that IPv6 is currently active in my Charter service area)

• Wireless network mode is “Create a wireless network”, and I have selected channels for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz that I found to be open via iStumbler
  • Network has the Router Mode set to DHCP and NAT, with a DHCP lease of 365 days and NAT Port Mapping Protocol enabled

For the Airport Extreme 5th gen, connected via ethernet to the 6th gen:

• Internet is connected via DHCP

Configure IPv6 is set to “Link-Local only” (I have checked and do not see that IPv6 is currently active in my Charter service area)

• Wireless network mode is “Create a wireless network”, and I have selected different channels for both 2.4 and 5 Ghz than the 6th gen
  • Network has the Router Mode set to “Off (Bridge Mode)”

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 5:15 PM

The 6th Gen AirPorts have had a lot more problems with modem compatibility than the earlier Generations, so if you have the time.......connect the 5th Gen AirPort to the modem and set it up to do DHCP and NAT and put the 6th Gen in Bridge Mode......to see how things work that way.

Charter may not have IPv6 active yet, but they and just about every other provider have been adding new equipment and making changes on their service. This may be a factor in your connection issues.

Yes, I am sure that Charter will say that this has had no effect at all on their regular IPv4 service......since ISPs always claim that they are not having any issues when you ask them about their service.

If you decide to swap the 6th Gen and 5th Gen as I suggested above.....and you still have connection issues.....then you are going to have to decide on whether to keep the AirPorts and try another brand of modem.....or.....keep the modem and try another brand of router.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2016 5:15 PM in response to dangraney

The 6th Gen AirPorts have had a lot more problems with modem compatibility than the earlier Generations, so if you have the time.......connect the 5th Gen AirPort to the modem and set it up to do DHCP and NAT and put the 6th Gen in Bridge Mode......to see how things work that way.

Charter may not have IPv6 active yet, but they and just about every other provider have been adding new equipment and making changes on their service. This may be a factor in your connection issues.

Yes, I am sure that Charter will say that this has had no effect at all on their regular IPv4 service......since ISPs always claim that they are not having any issues when you ask them about their service.

If you decide to swap the 6th Gen and 5th Gen as I suggested above.....and you still have connection issues.....then you are going to have to decide on whether to keep the AirPorts and try another brand of modem.....or.....keep the modem and try another brand of router.

Feb 2, 2016 12:00 PM in response to dangraney

I haven't had problems with this setup until recently. Based upon your points, however, it could even be a combination of a Charter's fiddling around and a persnickety 6th Gen.

If the AirPort Extreme were 3+ years old, then that might be something to consider.....but it's not. It's possible....but unlikely....that an electronic component inside the 6th Gen has developed an intermittent issue.....in which case it will be almost impossible to find.

That's why I suggested swapping the routers. If the 5th Gen works reliably, then you know it is something in the 6th Gen. The 6th Gen still might be OK set up in Bridge Mode.

But.....if the 5th Gen acts up as well.....then you have to conclude that the ISP's service is the culprit. They will never admit it, though.

Feb 5, 2016 9:25 AM in response to dangraney

I'm not on Charter, so have no experience with their service. I use Time Warner and keep two modems on hand and swap them out about every other month, just to keep things interesting.

Both the Zoom 5341J and Netgear CMD31T have both been flawless over about a 2 year period, so if Charter supports one of those models, you might want to give one of those a try. The Zoom has a more traditional modem appearance. The Netgear matches the design of some of their Ethernet switches.

Good luck!

Feb 4, 2016 11:59 AM in response to Bob Timmons

So wouldn't you know it... I went at lunch yesterday to purchase the Arris SB6141 and suddenly my existing modem has had a solid connection with no drops for over 24 hours. I'll give it some time before returning the Arris, but my only guesses can be:

A.) something changed within the ISP

B.) I finally nailed the correct pattern of resets before rebuilding my wifi.

Charter & Airport Extreme: random drops/disconnections

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.