Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Folder Is The iCloud Folder In?

I'm trying to change my iTunes Media folder location to my iCloud folder, so I can do the same on my desktop and laptop to keep playlists synced up. But when it opens the Finder window, it doesn't list anything in the sidebar, so I will have to manually navigate to the iCloud folder, but I can't find it anywhere.

Ever since updating ti El Captain the Finder sidebar has been all jacked up like this, anytime I try to save something or upload a file and the window opens, the sidebar with all my stuff is just blank.

Thanks for your help.

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 9:59 AM

35 replies

Feb 3, 2016 11:25 PM in response to alanchrishughes

iCloud Drive is an alias to the following folder:

~/Library/Mobile Documents

Ever since updating ti El Captain the Finder sidebar has been all jacked up like this, anytime I try to save something or upload a file and the window opens, the sidebar with all my stuff is just blank.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Feb 4, 2016 4:22 AM in response to Winston Churchill

When I open Finder itself, all of that works fine as usual like your screenshots show. But like I said, it's when I go to save files or upload files, that is when El Capitan has been emptying out the sidebar.

And iTunes Match is unnecessary, that is to copy all of your files from one computer to the other (which I already have done) and I don't even think Match syncs your playlists, so it would be pointless.

I've been copying playlists manually the last few months, copying the "iTunes Music Library.xml" and "iTunes Library.itl" files back and forth from one computer to the other and it works fine. It is just annoying to constantly have to do it manually and I don't always remember which is the most up to date library.

The only thing I'm thinking might not work is if iTunes tries to save two separate iTunes folders in the iCloud folder, instead of sharing the same folder/files.

Feb 4, 2016 4:56 AM in response to alanchrishughes

Are you sure?

Of course, but what you are attempting to do is not a good idea for reasons Winston Churchill explained, as well other reasons. I suggest you use iTunes the way it was designed to work, or find another organizational solution for your music.

But like I said, it's when I go to save files or upload files, that is when El Capitan has been emptying out the sidebar.

The Sidebar should appear when you click the icon at the upper left in the screenshot you posted – the one that appears directly above the word "Shared".

If that does not work for you, then it would appear that something corrupted your OS X installation. What that is cannot be determined, but it is probably related to a Finder Preferences file. You can attempt any number of means to isolate and correct the cause, but the usual remedy is to reinstall OS X. It may help to simply apply the latest Combo update for your version of OS X. For El Capitan: Download OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 Combo Update

Feb 4, 2016 4:56 AM in response to alanchrishughes

alanchrishughes wrote:

How do you un-hide the folder the iCloud folder is in so that one can navigate to it?

You can unhide the library folder by holding down the alt key when you reveal the go menu in the finder, but you still can't see inside the folder you were told about above.

You need to sort out the problem you are having with the finder (not quite sure what it is) rather than fiddling with system files.

Feb 4, 2016 6:34 AM in response to John Galt

Correct, the sidebar itself appears, as in that gray column rectangle on the left, but the stuff that is suppose to appear there does not. It doesn't show desktop or documents or any other folders I've added to the sidebar.

And as far as syncing playlists, there is no alternative to do this. $10/month for Apple Music might, but I'm not sure, and I can't afford that. Google Music keeps playlists synced, but they don't work offline and hit has a list of other goofy problems. Spotify keeps playlists synced, but you have to pay $10/month for them also if you want to listen offline, and they don't really work well with your local mp3 files.

I was able to locate the "Mobile Documents" folder by pressing the alt key as you said, but that doesn't seem to work when in the iTunes settings.

Feb 4, 2016 6:51 AM in response to alanchrishughes

I was able to locate the "Mobile Documents" folder by pressing the alt key as you said, but that doesn't seem to work when in the iTunes settings.

Provide step-by-step instructions for doing what you're doing. For example, if I launch iTunes on the Mac, then choose the iTunes menu > Preferences... > Advanced, then the Change... button adjacent to the iTunes Media folder location field, a standard file dialog box appears including the usual Sidebar choices:

User uploaded file

I assume that is not consistent with your observations. Is that correct?

You should be able to drag anything to the Sidebar, including your ~/Library folder or any of its contents, and that is exactly what should appear in a standard file dialog box. If that's not the case, something is corrupted as I wrote earlier.

I really don't know how iTunes will react to moving your iTunes Media folder to iCloud Drive. It's an interesting idea though.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.