Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote, The file “Untitled” couldn’t be opened

I am trying to save a Presentation in Keynote to my desktop and keep getting the error message "the file "Untitled" couldn't be opened.

Cannot find a solution.

MacBook Pro, iOS 9.1

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 10:01 AM

8 replies

Dec 25, 2017 10:04 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Same issue happening here with version 6.6.2 and El Capitan

Happens when I create and open with same version of KeyNote. Sometimes does not allow me to save. Happens random...

Workaround on creating new file, saving first and copying slides of the file that could not be saved.

This is ridiculous...

Using OS X El Capitan, version 10.11.6 with Macintosh HD 2.7 GHz, Intel Core i5

Feb 7, 2016 8:15 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Hi Gary,

You helped me immensely a while back with this issue, so I have another question.

First off, I have a 17" MacBook Pro (mid 2010), Yosemite 10.10.5, 8 GB RAM

I present all over the world using Keynote and I literally have 100s of presentations - Keynote runs my work-life. A few months ago I updated to Keynote 6.6.1 and then had trouble opening older presentations. Based on advice (from you?), I have been deleting Keynote 6.6.1, moving it to the trash,a and emptying trash. Then I re-instal the older Keynote using my Time Machine. All was working well.

Last night somehow 6.6.1 was installed again. Rather than deleting it, I tried opening my most recent projects and so far it is working to open them.

Have there been recent fixes? Would you suggest I keep going with 6.6.1? Should I upgrade to El Capitan?

Perhaps at some point I need to dive in and upgrade.

If I keep an older version of Keynote (6.5) on a USB drive, could I install it on the road in a pinch?

Thanks in advance.

myron

Feb 7, 2016 9:50 AM in response to MrDueck

My current advice would be to only use Keynote version 6.6.1.

I do use version 5.3 if I need to link to other presentations, that tool has been abandoned in version 6 series.

Keynote 6.6.1:

• opens all Keynote file types going back to at least version 3
  • is the most stable and the most feature rich version of Keynote todate
  • opens previously created files that were problematic
  • is compatible with Yosemite or El Capitan

My rule is to never upgrade Mac OS X until I have confirmed on my systems that all applications and peripheral equipment (e.g. printers cameras audio equipment) will be compatible. I am not upgrading to El Capitan as there are a number of issues when using Keynote that are not present when using Yosemite, and a number of drivers and applications I use are not yet EC compatible.

May 15, 2016 11:17 AM in response to mobiggers

Hi,

Looks like most people have luck with switching the default app version, but mine was already set to open in the most current versions. My problem was with any Keynote, Pages, or Numbers file being opened on my Mac, I would receive the prompt, "the file _____ couldn't be opened". But I could get them to open on iCloud.com. I thought for sure I had a permissions issue.

But, after just a few short minutes on the phone Jevon at Apple, and him asking for a restart before troubleshooting, everything seems to be working normally again. Duh.

So don't forget the restart 😉

-Mike

Keynote, The file “Untitled” couldn’t be opened

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.