Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Expansion Card for Desktop Mac Pro

Desktop Mac Pro with OS 10.11.3.

I am considering replacing my external BU HD's with a 6 TB Raid drive. The desktop does not come with a Thunderbolt port so would like to add a Thunderbolt expansion card. Any suggestions?

Having a lot of 1 TB drives is a mess but I do understand there are some misgivings and other limitations like where to insert the Thunderbolt expansion card.

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 11:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 11:03 PM

would like to add a Thunderbolt expansion card.

There is not now, nor will there EVER be a ThunderBolt add-on card. Only computers that left the factory ThunderBolt-equipped (or in the case of a few ASUS Systems, ThunderBolt-capable) can use ThunderBolt.

Intel controls the custom chips you would need, and they do not want a ThunderBolt add-on card. Case closed.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2016 11:03 PM in response to budspwr

would like to add a Thunderbolt expansion card.

There is not now, nor will there EVER be a ThunderBolt add-on card. Only computers that left the factory ThunderBolt-equipped (or in the case of a few ASUS Systems, ThunderBolt-capable) can use ThunderBolt.

Intel controls the custom chips you would need, and they do not want a ThunderBolt add-on card. Case closed.

Feb 4, 2016 6:14 AM in response to budspwr

Desktop external RAID boxes are still available. Apart from Thunderbolt ones which as discussed cannot be used with your classic Mac Pro, there are FireWire ones, USB ones, and eSATA ones all of which could in theory be used.

I would advise against USB as apart from the fact the classic Mac Pro only has USB2 built-in even via a USB3 PCI card you would not be able to boot from it.

eSATA would be a possibility and can even be done on new Mac using a Thunderbolt to eSATA adapter. However FireWire will be the easiest solution for you.

See Four Bay Enclosures for examples. In particular this one http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Stardom/SR4WBS3/

Feb 4, 2016 6:29 AM in response to John Lockwood

Thanks for the update. I should have mentioned I already have 4 internal drives and 4 external drives all used as backups (1.5 TB's). What I am trying to do is upgrade my system to larger capacity, faster, and with less backup complexity. This would seem to mean replacing the external drives, at a minimum, with a raid drive or just one larger drive but with an Firewire hookup. Example, a single 6 TB drive.

Feb 4, 2016 9:57 AM in response to John Lockwood

I looked at the four bay unit but believe it does not come with drives. That's a lot of money. Question is: Can I use my external drives by installing them within the provided cases as a raid drive 5? I thought they all had to be of the same size or did they get away from that?

I checked my desktop external drives and only two are of the same size. This would mean I need to purchase more drives. Hmmmmm

Thunderbolt Expansion Card for Desktop Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.