Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is My LTE Radio Broken?

I just got a brand new iPad Mini 4 with AT&T as the carrier yesterday.

And for 24 hours now, all I get is ONE DOT of LTE signal.

It'll start out with 3 or 4, then after a couple of minutes, it's down to one.

Sometimes it'll creep back up to two dots for a minute or so, and then it's back to one.

With past AT&T iPads, I steadily get four, with the occasional five appearing now & again.

And the letters "LTE" even disappear now for awhile & "4G" is displayed, instead.

Did I get a defective unit?

iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 11:10 AM

It sounds like a signal issue there for your carrier. If you change locations does it improve? Have you contacted AT&T to ask them if there are signal issues where you are located? There is an app in the App Store, Mark the Spot from AT&T you can use to report signal issues, but AT&T should be able to identify any possible issues there.

EDIT: You might also want to try turning of LTE for a minute and see how the signal goes with 4G. If you get a strong 4G signal, then it is possible the LTE signal in your area is a problem. But check with AT&T.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2016 11:10 AM in response to iPadCary

It sounds like a signal issue there for your carrier. If you change locations does it improve? Have you contacted AT&T to ask them if there are signal issues where you are located? There is an app in the App Store, Mark the Spot from AT&T you can use to report signal issues, but AT&T should be able to identify any possible issues there.

EDIT: You might also want to try turning of LTE for a minute and see how the signal goes with 4G. If you get a strong 4G signal, then it is possible the LTE signal in your area is a problem. But check with AT&T.

Feb 2, 2016 11:09 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thank you for answering so quickly.

If I'm near a strong wifi signal, then I'll get four solid dots of LTE.

No, I haven't contacted AT&T yet.

I'll try the "Mark The Spot" app right after I post this.

But I wanna watch "The Sopranos" first! lol

And it's funny you mention the 4G thing.

I was so desperate, before I read your suggestion just now, that I did, in fact,

turn off the LTE radio and just left it at 4G to see if that would do anything.

The result? FOUR solid dots! lol

Feb 2, 2016 11:44 AM in response to iPadCary

Sounds as I said earlier, like this is a just a signal issue in your location. If you are seeing this behavior on 4G, then your LTE just may not be as strong where you are. Can you go somewhere else with the device and test your signals? Find out from AT&T where an LTE capable tower is in your area, test there. There are so many variables when it comes to cellular signal that anything could be a causation. Good luck testing.

Feb 3, 2016 1:25 AM in response to iPadCary

To be honest, I've not had to use the Mark the Spot app in quite some time, so I'm not sure how well it is working. You should not have any issue working directly with AT&T. Heck, if you have an AT&T corporate store around where you live, that would be the best place to go, as they can do the reporting right on your account, and make any adjustments if necessary, and even replace your SIM if needed, right on site.

Is My LTE Radio Broken?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.