Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

setting up cogeco wireless on macbook pro

I have Cogeco internet (with TIVO television service) and all my devices connect instantly to the wireless network, except my Mac Book Pro (OS X 10.10.5) mid 2014 - 2.8GHz intel core i5). It connects fine when I turn off the wireless on my computer and turn it on again. But when I close the lid overnight or for a few hours it disconnects and will not connect again unless I go to another network and then back to the correct one, or turn off the wireless and turn it on again. I know this sounds strange especially as my iPhone connects instantly as does all my family's various devices. This problem has existed since we moved into the house a year ago and we had Cogeco installed. I have tried resetting up the network connection but that does not solve the problem. Also tried turning off the whole system and turning it on again. Cogeco tell me they have heard of this problem before with Macs but said that I would have to contact Appple to solve the problem. I have been putting up with it by turning off my wireless and turning it on again every day and a few times during each day, but it is an annoying issue as I cant quickly check something on the internet without turning off the wireless and reconnecting each time.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 11:44 AM

3 replies

Feb 3, 2016 2:49 PM in response to JT5622

Hey there JT5622,

I understand that your computer is running into some issues when trying to reconnect to a previously used network. I’ve found an article for you that may help you resolve this issue:

OS X keeps track of the wireless networks your computer has connected to, and lists them in the Wi-Fi pane of Network preferences.

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Network.

2. Choose Wi-Fi in the network connection services list, then click Advanced.

If Wi-Fi isn’t in the list, make sure you have an AirPort Card in your Mac, then click Add User uploaded file at the bottom of the list. Click the Interface pop-up menu, choose Wi-Fi, give the service a name, then click Create.

3. Click Wi-Fi. If the networks you expect to see aren’t in the preferred networks list, click Add User uploaded file at the bottom of the list, then click Show Networks.

4. Click the network you want to add to the list, then click Join.

If the network is protected by a password, enter it.

5. Drag the name of the network to the top of the list to give it the highest priority. This is the network your computer will try to join first.

To delete a network from the list, select it, then click Remove User uploaded file.

OS X Yosemite: Choose preferred wireless networks

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18525

I would suggest that you delete any networks you connect to infrequently, and prioritize your home network in the list referenced above. Take care, and thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities.

Feb 4, 2016 9:12 AM in response to braden85

HI there... thanks so much for your reply and information. I have indeed tried all that. Unfortunately to no avail.

My preferred wireless is at the top of the list etc and it tries to go to it, but I get the symbol showing no internet connection for that network (the wireless sign with an exclamation mark through it) until I try switching wireless off and turning it on again each time I use my computer after a break. Or I switch quickly to another network and back to my preferred.. that also starts it up again. It is annoying and I despair of ever being able to solve the problem... it does not happen when I visit friends and I use their network.. or when I have been traveling and using other networks... and it doesn't happen to my iphone or other devices in the house (thank goodness).... it is a strange issue.

setting up cogeco wireless on macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.