Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are the best arguments for allowing work on Mac in PC workplace?

Hello,

I invite your thoughts on best arguments for allowing me to work on a Mac in a PC-centric workplace? I've been summoned to start using a PC and Samsung smartphone (after three years using my personal MBP and iPhone) and am finding the task both distracting and hugely challenging to this older, less pliable brain of mine. I want to present a proposal to my employer that I be allowed to continue using a Mac and iPhone (company would provide them). I expect arguments against such a request to include the usual Apple tax cost factor and "if we let you have one we'll have to let everyone" (which will then point back to the cost factor). There will be no changing my workplace to Mac—most everyone, save our VP, is either rooted in PC, or has been fluent in both PC and Mac—so no need suggesting an office-wide shift. Arguments against might also include [problems] synchronizing platforms within the network and tech support (can't imaging that the company hired to provide this is not also fluent in Apple hardware), however I have had no issue with this thus far. I don't mind giving up use of my personal equipment (in fact, great!), but I need to convince the powers that be that this request is worth granting.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 12:13 PM

9 replies

Feb 2, 2016 2:44 PM in response to Csound1

Not sure I understand you. I don't want to provide an argument for them to use. I expect them to use the ones I outlined above—too costly, won't sync well with PCs—for which I'm looking for counter arguments. If you mean give you valid arguments in my personal favor I'd need to describe to you details of my work that I'm not prepared to do here. I'm really just hoping for any counter arguments to standard opposition like the ones I outlined above. I thought there were several I might be unaware of, but maybe not.

Feb 2, 2016 2:47 PM in response to pawletto

"Because I'm the boss and I don't want to!" Kinda hard to get around that one. Every situation is different. Just because you see it as justified, they may not. Even if they come up with an argument, just because you believe the counter argument to be valid does not mean they are going to. This is the business world, and a lot of it goes back to my first statement.

Feb 2, 2016 2:53 PM in response to pawletto

There is no argument. It is a PC shop and assuming the work is getting done to the boss' expectations why would he change? The only reason you want to remain with a Mac is personal preference. It is a lot easier for the boss to oversee and manage a workplace using a single suite of tools. Not to mention the added expense of adding a Mac including hardware, software, training, system admin, ...

If I were the boss I'd stay with what works and ensure that all employees use the same tools.

Feb 2, 2016 3:29 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Well, I can't say my query was solved, but I do appreciate the replies.

I think I placed this on the wrong forum, however, one that 's populated by those who are already happily bilingual. Some further details: VP uses Mac, I'm friends with the ED, and they need me as much as I need them (of course, in the end I realize no individual is indispensable). So, considering that playing field, I was looking for some additional points to add to my proposal, which I've presented to them just now as it was. I'll know tomorrow. And Bob, I'm not sure your read that I've been happily using Macs at this office for three years with no issues whatsoever. It's the inverse of what you suggest—the company will incur additional expense in the software, and teaching this old dog lots of new tricks.

Feb 2, 2016 3:57 PM in response to pawletto

I wouldn't necessarily say this is the wrong place. You were asking for valid argument and thoughts. Unfortunately you're not going to get a real valid argument. Standardization in the workplace is a must for business. So are the monitoring tools for incoming and outgoing server traffic. Yes, It's Windows! The days of going to work with a new Mac and gaining server rights to log in are coming to an abrupt end. They would rather pay to teach an old dog new tricks than to compromise company sensitive data.

Cheers!!

What are the best arguments for allowing work on Mac in PC workplace?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.