Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I upgrade Sarfari if I have a 2006 mac Pro desk top?

I have a 2006 desktop Mac Pro. It can't be upgraded higher then 10.7.5. I have been receiving from numerous websites that I visit to upgrade or my Safari or the web sites might not work properly. I like Safari very much and want to keep using it. Do I have to buy a new computer? Is this Apples way of forcing me to do this?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 12:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 7:08 AM

After an unspecified number of years Apple stops updating software for older systems. Everybody does that, but at different times. Thinking back on it with Apple it has generally been after a system version is about 6 years old and recently a whole bunch of support made the break with pre-OSX 10.7 systems. If you want a browser which is supported for 10.6 you will have to look to other browsers which, for the moment at least, still support 10.7. I believe Firefox still does and I don't know if the TenFourFox branch of Firefox will now adopt 10.6 users. They still make a version of Firefox for PPC computer owners.

I think I have seen others mention Opera.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2016 7:08 AM in response to russellfromdel mar

After an unspecified number of years Apple stops updating software for older systems. Everybody does that, but at different times. Thinking back on it with Apple it has generally been after a system version is about 6 years old and recently a whole bunch of support made the break with pre-OSX 10.7 systems. If you want a browser which is supported for 10.6 you will have to look to other browsers which, for the moment at least, still support 10.7. I believe Firefox still does and I don't know if the TenFourFox branch of Firefox will now adopt 10.6 users. They still make a version of Firefox for PPC computer owners.

I think I have seen others mention Opera.

How can I upgrade Sarfari if I have a 2006 mac Pro desk top?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.