Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote 6.6 opens window off-screen

Since v6.6 Keynote opens a file off-screen on first launch, I can't see the window at all.

I have two monitors, one is my MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) and the other is an AOC 15 inch USB monitor. BTW, and maybe connected, the driver for this monitor causes Magic Move to fail when attached.

As I said, Keynote launches fine, but the file I want to work on is nowhere to be seen on my screens. When I hit CMD-CTRL-F (full screen) the presentation shows up, and when I then hit ESC I see the window just at the right edge of the laptop screen (see screenshot below), which allows me to pull the window over and work on the file.

This of course is cumbersome if I have to do this every time I launch Keynote. I searched here in this forum, but I haven't found anything that would help me. Does anyone here know of a fix for that strange behavior?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), 500GB SSD & 750GB HDD

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 7:18 AM

Since v6.6 Keynote opens a file off-screen on first launch,

Ensure you have the current version of Keynote which is 6.6.1

the other is an AOC 15 inch USB monitor. BTW, and maybe connected, the driver for this monitor causes Magic Move to fail when attached.

These displays are very useful but they are well known do cause problems with photographic, presentation and video editing applications on the Mac.

If you can live with this displays inadequacy all well and good, but if you want flawless performance, you need to use a display with HDMI, Thunderbolt, mini displayport or DVI connection from the Mac.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2016 7:18 AM in response to Herbert

Since v6.6 Keynote opens a file off-screen on first launch,

Ensure you have the current version of Keynote which is 6.6.1

the other is an AOC 15 inch USB monitor. BTW, and maybe connected, the driver for this monitor causes Magic Move to fail when attached.

These displays are very useful but they are well known do cause problems with photographic, presentation and video editing applications on the Mac.

If you can live with this displays inadequacy all well and good, but if you want flawless performance, you need to use a display with HDMI, Thunderbolt, mini displayport or DVI connection from the Mac.

Feb 3, 2016 6:58 PM in response to Gary Scotland

Thank you Gary, you nailed it! I can't believe I did not try this before, I really should have thought about this – I just disconnected the USB monitor and Keynote 6.6.1 launched just fine.

Now that that's resolved I can live with that, all other apps, including the Adobe CC apps are working fine.

Eventually I'm going to try and find a 15 inch HDMI monitor with the same 1440x900 resolution as my MacBook Pro screen. Of course I could use a larger second monitor, but my setup at work is limited in hight.

Keynote 6.6 opens window off-screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.