Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV remote glass broke when dropped

My husband recently purchased our second Apple TV, an upgrade from the first edition we originally purchased four years ago. We are longtime customers of Apple and have always owned multiple Apple produtcs. We both like the updates made to the newest Apple TV with the exception of the remote. There are a couple of things we do not like about the design. First, our remote fell off the sofa onto a ceramic tile floor and the glass shattered. Accidents happen and I would venture to say that there are going to be a multitude of unhappy customers when they drop their remote and it shatters. I will say that if the remote had fallen onto carpeting it probably would have come out unscathed. The remote fell from the back of the sofa at a height of about three feet. I think the remote needs to be able to withstand a fall like that or perhaps Apple might consider designing a case or neoprene like sleeve for the remote. The other complaints we have are things we've learned to adjust to. The glass on the remote shattering though is problematic and because Apple product are on the pricey side (I had to replace a laptop charging cord twice - at $80 a pop - compliments of our puppy) we haven't even checked on replacement cost.

Apple TV (2nd generation), iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 7:29 PM

3 replies

Feb 2, 2016 7:36 PM in response to john and liisa

Yes. It is a delicate user device in my opinion not real world tested. There are other posts on the topic and have seen new cases that are being produced just like we have for our other handheld devices. I believe Siri remotes are also around $80...

i Will also mention that the older Apple TV remotes do work with the new ATV as well - except Siri. I actually use the silver remote or my harmony one universal remote more than the included Siri remote (I don't find Siri on tvOS all that useful - yet).

Apple TV remote glass broke when dropped

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.