Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion server open directory master, El Capitan (server 5) as replica

Hi all,

I have a Lion server running at the office doing basically everything including an open directory master. I want to add a server to the family running El Capitan and Server 5 solely as a profile manager for all our iOS devices at work. However, when I set up profile manager in Server 5 it requires that your server is a network directory. I tried to join the Mac running Server 5 and El Capitan to my Lion server as a replica but it says "Incompatible versions". Is there a way to do this? Or do I have to have them both in the same version in order to do it?

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 9:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 10:51 PM

I'm guessing that you're even looking at this because you either have an old Open Directory host that can't be upgraded past 10.7.5 Lion, and/or that you're in the process of upgrading and migrating.

Okay, so to paraphrase your question and what you're faced with here, your choice involves having a consistent implementation of Open Directory using consistent software versions, or to override the existing version lockouts here and try to use different and variously incompatible and rather less-tested combinations of Open Directory versions across your authentication servers.

If access is important enough to have replicated Open Directory servers and likely replicated DNS and related, then get everything to at least Yosemite and probably preferably to El Capitan. Now if this was a business that was considering replication, then your business outage costs are probably far higher than the cost of a (new or used) Mac mini or other small box that can run Yosemite or El Capitan. For a less-critical environment or for a family environment, I'd likely do a reinstallation and a migration and get that OD data transferred over to the new server.

Or the shorter version: can I override the lockouts? Probably. But do you really want to do that? With your directory servers?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2016 10:51 PM in response to Alexander Chai

I'm guessing that you're even looking at this because you either have an old Open Directory host that can't be upgraded past 10.7.5 Lion, and/or that you're in the process of upgrading and migrating.

Okay, so to paraphrase your question and what you're faced with here, your choice involves having a consistent implementation of Open Directory using consistent software versions, or to override the existing version lockouts here and try to use different and variously incompatible and rather less-tested combinations of Open Directory versions across your authentication servers.

If access is important enough to have replicated Open Directory servers and likely replicated DNS and related, then get everything to at least Yosemite and probably preferably to El Capitan. Now if this was a business that was considering replication, then your business outage costs are probably far higher than the cost of a (new or used) Mac mini or other small box that can run Yosemite or El Capitan. For a less-critical environment or for a family environment, I'd likely do a reinstallation and a migration and get that OD data transferred over to the new server.

Or the shorter version: can I override the lockouts? Probably. But do you really want to do that? With your directory servers?

Feb 3, 2016 10:58 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks MrHoffman!

I didn't want to upgrade my Lion server mainly coz I am lazy and everything works just fine over there but at the same time I need to add a new MDM server (profile manager in OS X server is good enough for us) to manage our iOS devices (estimating around 30-40 this year and 150 next year) which I believe our old Lion Server can't handle all of them. Anyway, thanks a lot for the comment, I guess I just have to do it the hard way by first migrating my old server to El Capitan and then add a new server to handle all the iOS devices.

Lion server open directory master, El Capitan (server 5) as replica

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.