Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac won't turn on at all

My Mac will not turn on suddenly. I have tried having it plugged in and not having it plugged. I have tried holding down the power button, and just pushing it normally. What can I do to get it on?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 8:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 11:24 PM

Try resetting the SMC

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

4 replies

Feb 6, 2016 4:59 AM in response to detrafromalderson

Mine has been doing the same thing. 5 trips to the store has fixed nothing. By accident, I stumbled on what appears to have fixed it: Once you get it to start up, DON'T shut the lid. I left mine open 4 days ago and it has not shut down since. But of course I can't carry it around like this so, Back to the store today to see what might be causing this. Will post again.

Feb 7, 2016 12:41 PM in response to michelefromvirginia beach

If you can't get your MPB to start using the power button, you won't be able to reset SMC, as you need to use the non-working start button. However you could jump start your MPB and also probably reset SMC that way. http://www.insidemylaptop.com/turn-on-macbook-pro-laptop-without-power-button-lo cating-power-on-pads/

I did that and it worked fine as I found a picture of my MPB mid-2009 on the web page. I tried to reset SMC that way, but I am not sure if I succeeded. Anyway my start button still doesn't work. I can easily close the lid if I want as it just goes to sleep and wakes up when opening the lid. I can also restart the computer from the Apple menu with no problem.

My Mac won't turn on at all

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.