Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Express unable to extend a wireless network

I have an AirPort Express that's about two years old. I've been using it to extend a wireless network in our house and it's worked fine. I recently switched to a new modem/router and have been unable get AirPort Express to extend the wireless network (2.4GHz) created by the new modem/router.

I can get the AirPort Express to successfully join the new network, but when I edit the settings to change it to extend the network, the update fails and I get a flashing amber light and the error message that the AirPort Express was unable to extend the network. Signal strength, by the way is "Excellent."

I have tried several times to reset the AirPort Express to factory settings and start from scratch, but get the same result: AirPort joins the network, but does not extend it.

Any suggestions to correct this would be much appreciated.

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 10:11 PM

1 reply

Feb 2, 2016 11:03 PM in response to J. Sloan

I have an AirPort Express that's about two years old. I've been using it to extend a wireless network in our house and it's worked fine.

It must have been extending another apple router. Apple routers can only extend each other.. it is rather incestous.

unable get AirPort Express to extend the wireless network (2.4GHz) created by the new modem/router.

Correct.. because it can only join.. it cannot extend wireless that is not Apple.

AirPort Express unable to extend a wireless network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.