Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there ANY way to turn off double-tap = zoom on iPad Safari?

My iPad is currently running iOS 9.2.1, and is a model ME406LL/A

I am having accessibility problems. I have very shaky hands. I am trying to use the iPad on web sites, and when I try to enter information, tapping on a button or a field, Safari interferes hugely by zooming the screen. I spend a very frustrating amount of time UN-zooming it and trying again.

I looked in the general settings accessibility, and in the Safari settings in the system settings, and I looked in Safari (which has almost no settings at all in the actual browser that I could find) and I was unable to find this capability. It seems like an obvious accessibility feature, OS X has it as far back as 10.6.8 for instance, you can completely control the double-click rate, so I know someone at Apple has thought this through... am I just missing something on the iPad? It sure wouldn't be the first time. 🙂

I do have an Android tablet that lets me use the web considerably more effectively until I can find an iPad solution, but I'd really just like to use my iPad sometimes. It's just so frustrating to use as it stands now.

Thanks for any pointers.

--Really hating on the zoom

--Ben

Macpro, MB Pro, various Minis, MB Air, iPods, Touches, iPads, Mac OS X (10.5.8), I also run linux, windows and android

Posted on Feb 2, 2016 11:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2016 2:59 AM

I found the answer! The double-tap zoom applies in apps besides Safari (TextEdit, for one) and the place to turn it off is in System Preferences, not Safari:

System Preferences » Trackpad » Scroll & Zoom tab » uncheck Smart zoom.

9 replies

Feb 3, 2016 9:38 AM in response to bobseufert

That's definitely where such a thing ought to be, I suppose, but no. If I set it low, for instance .1 sec, it seems to act just as before. If I set it high, then instead of my shaky input being a double click, it's one, but it won't take another click from me for a while, but then when it does, it treats it as a double click and zooms the page again. I really need the whole double-click thing to go away. If I could set the double click time to be less than the touch accommodations time, I think that would work, but I don't see a way to set the double click time, either.

I would like to just use pinch / unpinch to control zooming.

Appreciate the idea.

Is there ANY way to turn off double-tap = zoom on iPad Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.