Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete photos from my iPhone 6s, without deleting them from iCloud Photo Library on all of my devices with ios 9.2.1?

I just updated my iPhone 6s to ios 9.2.1, and every time I try to delete photos from the iPhone library, it says they're going to delete from the iCloud Photo Library on all devices. I don't want this to happen, I want to save the pictures on my computer, but clear space on my phone. Help!

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 9:34 AM

If you have iCloud Photo Library turned on in the iPhone then any photo you delete from the phone will also be deleted from iCloud and from all devices connected to that iCloud Photo Library. There isn't a setting or option where you can change that while continuing to use iCloud Photo Library. You can reduce the space required on the phone by turning on Settings > iCloud > Photos > Optimize iPhone Storage. You can suggest that Apple offer more options via: http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2016 9:34 AM in response to hmereid

If you have iCloud Photo Library turned on in the iPhone then any photo you delete from the phone will also be deleted from iCloud and from all devices connected to that iCloud Photo Library. There isn't a setting or option where you can change that while continuing to use iCloud Photo Library. You can reduce the space required on the phone by turning on Settings > iCloud > Photos > Optimize iPhone Storage. You can suggest that Apple offer more options via: http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

Feb 3, 2016 11:45 AM in response to hmereid

I don't want this to happen, I want to save the pictures on my computer, but clear space on my phone. Help!

As FoxFifth explained, this is not possible, if you are using iCloud Photo LIbray. Then iCloud will manage your storage. With optimize storage enabled, iCloud Photo Library will ally use all available free storage, but remove photos,if storage is needed for other tasks.

If you want to manage the storage on your iPhone yourself, do it the old-fashioned way.

• Disable iCloud Photo Library on your iPhone.
  • Save your photos to your computer by connecting the iPhone to a USB port and importing the photos to the Photos.app.
  • Delete the photos from your iPhone you saved to your computer.

How do I delete photos from my iPhone 6s, without deleting them from iCloud Photo Library on all of my devices with ios 9.2.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.