Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which QuickTime Codecs Do I need for MKV videos?

I am trying to watch an MKV video on QuickTime Player 7. The video works fine, but I get no audio and a pop-up that says I need "additional software" to run the video properly... though it doesn't bother to tell me what I need (as an added note, this movie plays just fine on VLC Player; I want to use QuickTime player so I can step through it frame-by-frame if I need to).

Here are the specs as shown in the video information. Can someone please tell me what codecs or other things I need to play this?

H.264, 704 × 480 (640 × 480), Millions

AC3, 5.1 (L R C LFE Ls Rs), 48.000 kHz

SSA Text Subtitle (Perian), 704 × 528, Millions+

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 9:21 AM

3 replies

Feb 6, 2016 3:33 PM in response to ker-plop

I am trying to watch an MKV video on QuickTime Player 7. The video works fine, but I get no audio and a pop-up that says I need "additional software" to run the video properly... though it doesn't bother to tell me what I need (as an added note, this movie plays just fine on VLC Player; I want to use QuickTime player so I can step through it frame-by-frame if I need to).

QT 7 does not natively support AC3 audio. VLC and MPlayerX are usually the preferred Mac players here for MKV files with 5.1 AC-3 and/or 5.1 DTS audio. Both support "passthrough" of multichannel bitstreams for external decoding and internal stereo down mixed audio output. However, while VLC does not support the QT player arrow convention for frame stepping of content, the MPlayerX app does.

User uploaded file

Which QuickTime Codecs Do I need for MKV videos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.