Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cell value in numbers displays date instead of formula value in currency

I use numbers frequently and a spreadsheet I use suddenly consistently displays a date (30 April 2017) instead of a sum value that always was there. I have tried changing the cell format back to currency, clearing all and resetting the formal deleting the row and inserting a new formula in another cell and this problem persists. Have quit and restarted numbers and whole computer. Not sure how this happened or how I can fix it.

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 10:17 AM

7 replies

Feb 4, 2016 6:42 AM in response to christomac

Not necessarily related to your problem, but general Numbers usage.

Is there a reason you don't put the sum in the last row of the table, define that row as a Footer Row and then use the formula =SUM(D) ?

What does the rest of your column D look like? Are there cells up above that don't contain a Cost figure? Are you using a formula in column D to calculate Cost? Is it in all of the cells of column D?

SG

Feb 4, 2016 9:55 AM in response to SGIII

Thanks for your input here.

I had the formula in the footer row initially but when the value became corrupted tried changing all sorts of things, including deleting the row and inserting the sum in a new row. Recreating a footer row with a new sum formula for that column still returns a date, now May 2017. Whenever I reformat the cell with the formula back to currency, the date value persists. The column is all numbers representing parking charges and formatted as currency, and worked fine up until Wednesday. Other sheets in the workbook work still seem OK. The formula is a simple sum and only in the final row, all the other cells are formatted as currency and only contain digits with a $ sign

Feb 5, 2016 3:27 AM in response to christomac

Hi Christomac,

It is all too easy to mistakenly mark a question as Solved.

Please give more information, especially answers to SG's questions:

What does the rest of your column D look like? Are there cells up above that don't contain a Cost figure? Are you using a formula in column D to calculate Cost? Is it in all of the cells of column D?

Is there anything in Column D such as a forward slash?

Summing a column of figures defaults to date format

Regards,

Ian.

cell value in numbers displays date instead of formula value in currency

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.