Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating between two Mac Pros

I upgrading from an old 4.1 MacPro to the new "trash can" MacPro. But I have only one monitor. Is the display port "hot swapable"?

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11), Radeon Sapphire 7950

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 10:50 AM

Yes it is hot swappable.

You can also get Thunderbolt>FireWire adopter and connect the two via FW and boot the 4.1 in target Disk Mode and do the migration.

If you are going to use a network connection use a wired connection. Wifi is slow

20 replies

Feb 4, 2016 6:10 AM in response to WilliamL

This

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

includes:

Connect the computers to each other

For Mac to Mac you only run Migratin assistant on the "new" Mac. That finds the info on the "old" Mac.

For PC to Mac yoo have to download and run Windows Migration Assistant on the PC and Mc's version on the Mac

Feb 4, 2016 7:44 AM in response to WilliamL

I used Target Disk Mode when going from 2009 Mac Mini to 2913 Mac Pro.

On your old Mac:
If you started in target disk mode or are migrating from a Time Machine backup, skip these steps.

1. If you see a security code, make sure that it's the same code as on your new Mac.
  2. Click Continue.

On your new Mac:

1. If you're migrating from a Time Machine backup, you might be asked to enter a password for the backup or Time Capsule. You should then see a list of backups organized by date and time. Choose the backup that you want to use, then click Continue.
  2. Select the information to transfer, then click Continue to start the transfer. If you have a lot of content, the transfer might take several hours to finish.

User uploaded file

The above would mean that you have to log into both Macs if not using Target disk mode or from TM backup

Feb 4, 2016 3:06 PM in response to WilliamL

What you first boot up a new Mac you will be offered the choice to migrate form another Mac. Before you say yes to that you have to connect the two and boot the old one in Target Disk mode.

You can initially setup a new Mac not using migration and then later run Migration Assistant but the migrated stuff will be under a new user

Re: Migration assistant created a new user when transferring files from a PC to mac

Feb 6, 2016 2:20 PM in response to WilliamL

WWell you t didn't go the way we planned. Never could see the old Mac in Target Disk mode. Tried both FireWire and Ethnet. Finally started the old Mac and opened Migration Assistant. Went back to the new Mac and found out that my new Pro had an earlier operating system. So I had to go all the way and create an account so I could update to El Capitan. Then I opened Migtation assistant and now everything is chugging away

Migrating between two Mac Pros

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.