Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert/Open Legacy Word Processing Documents

As a long-time (don't ask) Mac user, I have utilized a number of Word Processor Apps over the years - MacWrite-Writenow-Appleworks - before settling on Word & Pages.

I have a number of documents from the late '80s & the 90's that I can no longer open.

I can seek out what was written using TestEdit/LibreOffice but cannot obtain any formatting etc - & it is quite a chore.

Here is what the icons now look like: User uploaded file

Any ideas from the community?

Thanks!

…John

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 7:36 AM

What conversions do you need to be done? You will find that LibreOffice will probably do them (but not, for example, ClarisWorks 4 and earlier - though it will do CW5 and AW6).

You should not need MacLinkPlus unless you are using Classic Apple OS via an emulator, in which case there are one or two sites where you can still get those conversion suites, in order to run them in pre-OS X. However, they don't run in MacOS (OS X) which is why LibreOffice is recommended.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2017 7:36 AM in response to Lawrence Lessig

What conversions do you need to be done? You will find that LibreOffice will probably do them (but not, for example, ClarisWorks 4 and earlier - though it will do CW5 and AW6).

You should not need MacLinkPlus unless you are using Classic Apple OS via an emulator, in which case there are one or two sites where you can still get those conversion suites, in order to run them in pre-OS X. However, they don't run in MacOS (OS X) which is why LibreOffice is recommended.

Feb 3, 2016 11:49 PM in response to John Bonn

Hello John,

- TextEdit has no filter for such old documents, so it will only by able to retrieve the text (with some old character),

- concerning LibreOffice, I suppose that you tried with a recent version of LibreOffice. If so and if you have documents which do not contain any confidential data, I may be interested to see some (to understand why the LibreOffice's filters does not recognize them), you can find my email at http://www.loria.fr/~alonso/ .

Mar 12, 2016 10:48 AM in response to John Bonn

LibreOffice DOES open AppleWorks documents. It may also open older ClarisWorks documents? But if not, you may want to try the Emaculation site, which shows three different emulators for running old Mac OS - Sheepshaver for OS 8 & 9, Basilisk for System 6 & 7, and MiniMac (?) for older than that. I can open MacWrite in Sheepshaver running 8.6

Mar 24, 2016 5:16 AM in response to christopher rigby1

A further note - I created a formatted MacWrite II document (different fonts / colours / justifies etc) in Mac OS 8.6 and exported it to OS X. Libre Office opened it with all formatting in place apart from one font - Desdemona - which I didn't have in OS X. Since then I've downloaded Desdemona for OS X and now the document opens in LibreOffice exactly as formatted in 8.6

Convert/Open Legacy Word Processing Documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.