Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

End of updates to Chrome platform support?

Can anyone please explain this announcement that Google will no longer be issuing updates for 'Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8 since these platforms are no longer actively supported by Microsoft and Apple'. ??

http://chrome.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/updates-to-chrome-platform-support.html

I only bought my Mac a few years ago & I'm already being told that to use a browser I have to go out & buy a new computer? What nonsense is this?!

Can I upgrade my OS on my computer, or would I need to buy a new Mac? If the latter the world really has gone insane... Do Apple & Google think we can all go out & buy new computers every 2 years?

Does anyone know if this affects other Google products, such a Google pages & Gmail?

Thanks for any suggestions / advice.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 11:40 AM

6 replies

Feb 4, 2016 6:46 AM in response to AliWonder

Look at the bright side:

iTunes 12.2.25 supports Mac OS X 10.7.5 and syncing with iOS 9.1.

Firefox supports 10.6 and above, and a separate project developed from Firefox supports 10.4 to 10.6 called Tenfourfox.

Flash supports 10.6.8 and above with the latest Flash.

Java supports 10.7.3 and above with the latest Java.

So you aren't totally out of the loop. Any Mac from 2008 or later can upgrade to 10.8 or 10.11. I would hold at 10.8 if you must upgrade for some other compatibility than web browser, unless you can get 10.9 or 10.10 from somewhere as many printers aren't 10.11 compatible yet. All these Macs are supported by 10.8 through 10.11:

iMac 7,1 and later

MacBook 5,1 and later

MacBook Pro 3,1 and later

MacBook Air 2,1 and later

Mac Mini 3,1 and later.

Mac Pro 1,x to 2,x not officially supported solution (for Mountain Lion and Mavericks) 3,1 and later (officialy supported)

Feb 4, 2016 7:00 AM in response to a brody

You can use IMAP based e-mail with Mac OS X Mail in 10.7.5 to retrieve GMAIL. Google DOCs work just fine in Firefox. And you can keep your old version of Chrome around indefinitely. And you can use User Agent editing on most browsers to make it look like you are using a more modern browser*:

http://www.macmaps.com/browser.html

Just tested Firefox 26 in 10.6.8. Says "unsupported" in GMAIL, but works just fine. Google Docs doesn't complain at all.

* Links to my pages may give me compensation.

End of updates to Chrome platform support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.