Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Midi Script to Drive Track Volume...

Hey Everyone!

I've run into a problem I've been trying to solve with the midi scripter, and I can't seem to brute force it with googling.

Basically, I want the volume of the track to be zero whenever a midi note on that track is not present. Velocity isn't an option here, I need to be driving the actual volume of the track.

Does anyone know how I can write an if/then statement that will turn volume to zero when no midi note is present, but when a note is present default to the GUI mixer? Or if I can't influence track volume directly, can anyone think of a workaround here?

Thanks so much!

Logic Pro X, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 11:33 AM

13 replies

Feb 3, 2016 11:54 PM in response to mlinc88

You'ld have to manually insert 4 volume messages in each "gap" - but there's no way you can do what you want automatically, you'll have to enter those messages manually, or mousually.

User uploaded file

That's lots of work, especially if you have many gaps. So: why? Maybe there's a completely different method for whatever you are trying to achieve. Please try to explain why you want/need this.

Feb 4, 2016 8:25 AM in response to Eriksimon

Hey thanks for your response!

It's for writing/previewing vocal harmonies in my own voice with waves tune.

I've got waves tune as a midi controlled AU effect, and it is taking a sidechain from a bus my lead vox channel is sending to, then tuning the sidechain audio to the note present in the midi track. I want to only hear what is coming through that relationship when a midi note is actively controlling the output. Currently, when no midi note is present, the track just doubles my lead vocals. (Only the lead vocal's channel strip, the bus is muted and otherwise only audible through these midi tracks; if I mute the midi tracks or turn their mixer volume all the way down, the vocals are not doubled anymore).

So in this case, volume automation will affect the output, but the midi volume controller will not.

But yeah, there are enough gaps that its a huge task, and it would also be great if I could just play a note on a keyboard and audition a harmony in my own voice without the track being doubled or tripled when I'm not playing a key. The idea is super low impact composing/rapid-prototyping using my own voice before I commit session time to recording the harmonies.

One solution I was looking at was just duplicating the lead vocal track for every harmony track and just removing the audio where I don't want to send it to waves, but again the gaps are numerous and it gets really annoying if I re-record the lead to change a lyric or something.

Thanks again for your help!

Feb 4, 2016 8:07 PM in response to Ed Egned

This could be an awesome solution, but it would require that a second software track whose sole purpose is to trigger that noise gate accept midi from the first track. I can't seem to figure out the routing on that, but if I could do it, that would work perfectly. Any tips on getting a software instrument on one track to accept midi from another track?

Feb 5, 2016 5:29 AM in response to mlinc88

(Why not simply use Flex Pitch? Now (in Logic 10.2.1) that you can edit the pitches in the tracks area, it is much easier to create vocal harmonies. You could use the mute button on them (the tracks or their group aux) where you want to remove the doubling.)

Well, forget that. I have Wavestune too, but I never used it before, and I found it works very nicely for harmonisations played "live" from the keyboard. So thanks for that "tip", mlinc!

To mute unwanted parts of the second vocal I would simply MIDI-trigger the mute button of the tuned track (assign it temporarily to your sustain pedal) - as it is just for auditioning purposes. Muting anywhere inside a non-silent audio region can cause clicks and is therefore less suited to use in final production. It should be fine for your described workflow though.

Let us know if you need instructions on how to assign your sustain pedal to the mute button.

Feb 5, 2016 11:22 PM in response to mlinc88

Here's how to assign the sustain pedal to the Mute button of the selected track.

First. select the channel, then click its mute button at least once. Then open your controller assignments window.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Then click the Learn button.

User uploaded file

Now, press & release the sustain pedal once. Click the learn button again to deactivate, and done. To remove the assignment again, simply select it and use the delete button.

User uploaded file

Feb 8, 2016 6:15 PM in response to Eriksimon

Hey Everyone! Thanks again for your time and attention! Part of the problem is I'm transition from a heavy history in ableton for a few features I absolutely love, and now this part of my workflow has just exploded.

Eriksimon- Got a chance to test the pedal thing. Do you know if it is possible to automate this? The solution works perfectly if I'm using the physical sustain pedal, but I can't get automation of midi information for either sustain pedal or foot control to affect the mute button, it only works if I'm using the physical control surface... so I can't use presence/non-presence of a note to drive a script to make this automatic.

Ed- Is there a way to do this without copying the midi sequence? I would like to be able to have the entire process triggered by either live midi input or notes off a midi clip, such that I don't need to alter two midi clips if I change the timing of a single note. Is there a way to basically make a bus for midi information that I'm missing? That would make this solution perfect. Been trying to find this solution everywhere, but I could just be missing some basic vernacular in the switch from ableton...

Again, thanks for your attention to this!

Feb 10, 2016 7:51 PM in response to Ed Egned

Thanks for the reply!

That def works for the live input.

But is there a way to make it such that a midi clip on your waves tune track will trigger the exs24 on your synth for SC track without duplicating? So whatever is playing on one is also playing on the other, without having to edit the midi track twice?

For this, and for other applications, I basically want a midi bus. Such that one midi clip on one track can trigger several other tracks at once, without the restrictions of multi-timbral instruments. Does this exist in logic?

Thanks everyone!

Feb 11, 2016 9:33 AM in response to Ed Egned

Thanks so much for your patience Ed!

The brain **** that kept me from understanding this solution was my assumption that I would leave the midi clip on the tuning track for some reason, when I should have been placing it on the main track for the summing stack. Now I feel very silly. Perfect solution, Ed.

Thanks so much to you both! You guys really helped me set up my dream composition platform. Happy tracking to you!

Midi Script to Drive Track Volume...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.