Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express 5GHz network top speed

Hi

I have a 200Mbps service, obviously connected via Ethernet, the ISP told me that their modem didn't support that speed via wireless, they suggested me to buy an Airport Express (I did), I'm not having that speed yet, they told me that maybe it was because the Airport Express was not connected via a CAT6 wire (which maybe it's true because it was an old LAN cable), but reading a lot of threads I'm afraid I won't get that speed even with a CAT6 cable, I can't return my Airport Express (Mexico Service Policies suck) and get an Airport Extreme, so:

Am I loomed here? I can't get wireless 200mpbs with an Airport Express? What you suggest me to do? (Buying am Airport Extreme is not an option right now $$$$)

PS I am so afraid Bob Timmons brings me bad news 😉

Thank you

Miguel

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), null

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 1:28 PM

I have a 200Mbps service, obviously connected via Ethernet, the ISP told me that their modem didn't support that speed via wireless, they suggested me to buy an Airport Express (I did), I'm not having that speed yet, they told me that maybe it was because the Airport Express was not connected via a CAT6 wire

Sorry, but it doesn't really matter whether you use CAT5 or CAT6 wire as the Ethernet ports on the AirPort Express are limited to 100 Mbps. You will never get to the 200 Mbps that your ISP is providing you. The AirPort Extreme, on the other hand, has all 1 Gbps Ethernet ports.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2016 1:28 PM in response to mlozano9

I have a 200Mbps service, obviously connected via Ethernet, the ISP told me that their modem didn't support that speed via wireless, they suggested me to buy an Airport Express (I did), I'm not having that speed yet, they told me that maybe it was because the Airport Express was not connected via a CAT6 wire

Sorry, but it doesn't really matter whether you use CAT5 or CAT6 wire as the Ethernet ports on the AirPort Express are limited to 100 Mbps. You will never get to the 200 Mbps that your ISP is providing you. The AirPort Extreme, on the other hand, has all 1 Gbps Ethernet ports.

Airport Express 5GHz network top speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.