Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using an Airport Express correctly as a router in the UK

I am attempting to set my Airport Express up as the primary router in my house. Previously, I've had the Airport Express set up in bridge mode, which I've realised is by far not the best setup for my system. Previously, I ran my internet with a BT Home Hub 4 as the modem/router (ADSL2+) and the Airport Express in bridge mode (which I've gathered is effectively being an access point). On looking through old technological gear for a solution, I found my old modem/router - a Linksys WAG120N. After a quick Google search, it told me that this can work purely as a modem. I was very pleased to find this, and imagined it would be the perfect solution to have my network working as intended:

Linksys WAG120N (Modem) -> Airport Express (Router + Wireless Access Point) -> Network Switch and Other Connected Devices

However, due to the nature of the Airport Express, I appear to be unable to connect properly to my PPPoA ADSL2+ connection. I am looking for any solution with my existing hardware that can complete my plan for my 'perfect' network. I have heard that devices such as the Vigor 120 can do this, but I'd much prefer to not shell out for new hardware if it's possible with what I already have.

Thanks in advance,

Jake Hillion

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 1:12 PM

2 replies

Feb 3, 2016 1:18 PM in response to JakeHillion

However, due to the nature of the Airport Express, I appear to be unable to connect properly to my PPPoA ADSL2+ connection.

That's correct, since the AirPort Express only supports PPPoE.

If you decide to use the Draytek Vigor 120, it is a PPPoA to PPPoE "bridge", and should work well. But, check with the support folks at Draytek and your provider as well though, to make sure that everything will be compatible.

Vigor 120 ADSL Modem - Draytek

No other solutions that I can think of other than another modem that can do PPPoA to PPPoE translation.

Feb 3, 2016 1:31 PM in response to JakeHillion

Routers cannot do PPPOA.. that is not an Apple limitation.. it is the design of the ADSL.. where PPP is fine but over ATM means it has to be handled at the modem interface.. whereas PPPOE was designed to handle Ethernet PPP over Ethernet is slightly less efficient.. but is hugely more flexible.. for reasons known only unto themselves BT chose PPPOA and basically the UK has been tortured by that fatal decision ever since.

US, Australia always chose PPPOE.. which is hugely better for us. In the UK you have to get around it by fudges.

I've had the Airport Express set up in bridge mode, which I've realised is by far not the best setup for my system.

The interesting thing is.. PPPOE on Apple routers.. while possible is so problematic you are in just as big a hole as with PPPOA.

Even if you buy the Draytek 120 or 130 now.. there is every possibility it still won't work. So don't go that way.

I would like to know what you are trying to achieve that you think having the Express in bridge is failing to achieve.

I have developed a half way house.. Since I am in the same boat.. and bridge was less than stable.. I ran the Airport (TC or Extreme in my case) in static IP mode..

So keep your HH4 or whatever router you are now on.. still doing router duties and simply run the Express as DHCP server to the rest of your network.

The setup is here.

Re: airport time capsule keeps disconnecting

Anything you find difficult post a question about that step.

Using an Airport Express correctly as a router in the UK

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.