Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spanning a volume over a network or with a remote device

I am using OS X v10.11.3 and operating OS X Server over a Mac Pro (2013, 4 cores, 12 gigs, no turbo boost (over clocking kills a cpu)). I have a computer with a ton of empty sata storage (wiped). Both of these are connected to a 1GE network switch. (I'm aware of other means of connecting this storage directly but I want to over a network)

I do know that creating a spanned volume can be done locally via Disk Utility (via concatenated disk set) but can this be done between the two computers over such a network? A single volume over a network.

Maybe something similar to a slave and master setup or create a cluster computer between the two? Then I could setup other slaves too or create a bigger cluster.

I have considered turning the computer into a network attached storage (nas) then mounting it but I am a little cautious to experimenting with storage. To this point I have not attempted this nor have I decided which method of nas would be most beneficial/easiest.

My goal is to make a single secondary storage setup over a network. If there is any alternative that would be able to setup something similar to a network/remotely attached storage to create a single spanned volume then I am all ears. Other than that, all I'm asking is if it is possible and what's the best method.

Thanks, Samuel.

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), 4 cores, 12 gigs, no turbo

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 5:07 PM

Do I need to explain further? I'm getting 0/14 responses and views...?

23 replies

Feb 3, 2016 7:39 PM in response to Storm89161

The advantage of such a solution is speed. Using Ethernet, you have only 1GB vs 20GB on Thunderbotl2. The flexibility and potential redundancy, for a hot standby on one of the drives, at least, is tremendous. Having that, and access to the other drives potentially to be used at will, is as good as it can get. What you gain by that is a redundant system, that could be fired up immediately if something goes wrong. What you loose, is an (presumably old), processor and some RAM.

Spanning over Ethernet? Your RW speed will drop down to slower than SATA 3, and that is more than 5 years ago! Think about it. What about the other normal network traffic? Your bottleneck will be the network.

Leo

Feb 4, 2016 9:12 AM in response to Storm89161

The nearest thing I could come up with would be to have one server 'mount' the other server(s) via NFS. Then have this master server re-share the combined storage.

While this will have inferior performance it should provide a single point of entry to the combined storage.

Note: You could help things a bit performance wise by using a second Ethernet port, one for the NFS connections to the slave servers, and one for re-sharing to the client Macs.

A second approach but never done on Mac servers that I have heard of, would be to install SAMBA4, setup Active Directory and setup DFS (Distributed File System). Macs can as standard be clients to a DFS system but cannot as standard be a DFS capable server, this is something SAMBA4 can however do as well of course as 'real' Windows Servers. See https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Distributed_File_System_(DFS)

It maybe easier to build a Linux server - even a virtualised one to run SAMBA4.

Feb 4, 2016 7:42 AM in response to Storm89161

The Apple solution here is fibre channel and Xsan to coordinate the shared access, and this configuration would need to have fibre channel host-bus adapters and fibre channel storage area network storage controllers added. Without distributed coordination, corruptions will arise.

NFS and SMB can be used for serving storage, though gigabit ethernet with any of these will be much slower than SATA storage speeds, or fibre channel speeds.

If the second system is a Mac and with a compatible cable, then use Target Disk Mode.

If the second system is some other sort of box, load some open-source NAS software onto it, and configure and use it as a dedicated file server, at the rather slow gigabit Ethernet speeds. But I'd not try to use something like Core Storage to create logical volumes spanning host systems, however — that path likely ends in pain and frustration and corruptions. (I only know of one operating system that can do that reliably — RAID-1 mirroring member volumes spanning hosts via Ethernet or other connections — and OS X isn't it.)

Feb 4, 2016 9:11 AM in response to Leopardus

Sir, what I can modify this to be if I get this done is a petabyte per second thanks to Japanese fibre technologies. Trust me, I have more than enough room to expand with this typography. Btw its not old, its an 4th gen i7 bruh with tons of room of expansion. This is not your typical build.

Think about this. A world where your phone could have over 4 tb of off board system memory. 'tis a very nice idea.

Feb 4, 2016 10:22 AM in response to Storm89161

Storm89161 wrote:

Yea, the other one isn't a mac although I can turn it into a hackintosh if that is most beneficial. But does target disk mode combine the two into a single volume?

If the two systems are both Apple Mac systems, and if the available cable connections are compatible, then Target Disk Mode turns one of the two computers involved into something that is basically an external storage enclosure, which means that Core Storage (Fusion, et al) is in play. It's all local storage.

Given it is not an Apple Mac and thus there is no OS X here, and given that there is very likely no TDM-compatible connection here and very likely no TDM mode at all in the target box, then Core Storage is not in play here, so load the box with some open-source NAS software, and serve that via SMB or NFS or maybe AFP.

Don't expect Core Storage to span local and served (remote) volumes. Not reliably, if at all.

Or extract the storage devices from the not-Mac box, and use external enclosures on the Mac, and use Core Storage — as all the disks are local.

What you are apparently envisioning here — clustering shared storage, across multiple hosts — fundamentally does not work reliably. Not without a cluster connection manager or Xsan or similar clustering software to coordinate the storage access across the hosts.

Even without the multiple-host sharing involved, one NFS disconnect or one crash underneath some sort of multi-host mapped Core Storage volume or one SMB/CIFS server going weird, and I'd expect that all bets are off for the Core Storage data scattered across the "disks" involved here.

So... Load BSD or Linux or an illumos distro — or whatever software is supported on the not-Mac box — and serve your storage from that box. Or go do what you want, blend it all together with Core Storage, and see if it works reliably. But I wouldn't expect reliability, if that's not clear.

Feb 4, 2016 11:34 AM in response to MrHoffman

Given it is not an Apple Mac and thus there is no OS X here

Unless I was able to install OS X via Hackintosh.

across multiple hosts

No lol, its just a single host. Multiple clients... mayb. More like slaves.

Even without the multiple-host sharing involved, one NFS disconnect or one crash underneath some sort of multi-host mapped Core Storage volume or one SMB/CIFS server going weird, and I'd expect that all bets are off for the Core Storage data scattered across the "disks" involved here.

I dont want to spread across all the disks. I want to span across the disks. If there is a system failure then i just reboot and each disk "re-stacks" as the data is used.

So... Load BSD or Linux or an illumos distro — or whatever software is supported on the not-Mac box — and serve your storage from that box. Or go do what you want, blend it all together with Core Storage, and see if it works reliably. But I wouldn't expect reliability, if that's not clear.

So something like FreeBSD or FreeNAS would work or no? Because I still have no idea if they actually can be spanned as such without vigorous moderation (which I would be willing to do).

Feb 14, 2016 10:36 AM in response to Storm89161

I really have no idea what you're referring to as "span" here. It's not a term I recognize. Not in the way that you're using it, at least.

OS X has software RAID-0 (striping) and RAID-1 (mirroring) support, controllers can have additional RAID levels, and I'm aware of one operating system — not OS X — that can have software RAID-1 storage volumes configured across multiple servers, or across multiple storage controllers in the case of NAS or FC SAN storage.

If more than one host is accessing and sharing the same storage, then that access must be coordinated. Otherwise you get corruptions.

Discussions that involve violating copyrights and software EULAs are out of bounds for the forum. As somebody that's developed software commercially, I'm certainly not interested in those discussions myself, either.

Feb 23, 2016 10:00 AM in response to Storm89161

Some terms, as I am using them...

I am aware of no way to "span a volume over a network" without involving some form of RAID. That is, to have one volume exist on more than one host. It is possible on a few systems to have a single RAID volume comprised of physical volumes located on multiple servers. OS X is not among those systems.

You can serve a volume remotely over a network, via SMB/CIFS, NFS or other protocols. There are many solutions to that. OS X has SMB/CIFS and AFP clients and servers integrated, among others.

You cannot serve a volume remotely or otherwise share access without some form of coordination services (usually part of the protocol that's serving the volume), as otherwise two hosts will eventually get tangled and will clobber (some of) the updates.

Spanning a volume over a network or with a remote device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.