Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gigabit Ethernet through AirPort Extreme

I just received a gigabit connection at my house. If I hook up my iMac via ethernet to the gigabit modem provided by the municipal internet provider, II can get about 800 Mbps download according to netspeed.com. Nice.

However, when I use my Airport Extreme as an ethernet router (putting the Extreme between the iMac and the modem) my speed drops to roughly 1/10 of that.

None of the devices I own currently are capable of handling 802.11 ac, so I know I will not get anywhere near gigabit speeds wirelessly. But it would be nice to get the faster speeds on the one machine that I plan to connect via ethernet, then connecy other devices to the Extreme wirelessly.

Is the Airport Extreme really throttling the ethernet so much? Is there a setting I can adjust to get faster ethernet routing?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 2:06 PM

If the AirPort Extreme 802.11ac is set up as a DHCP and NAT router, then the WAN to LAN speed is going to be limited to about 300-400 Mbps. Check the disappointing results here:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

If the AirPort Extreme is set up in Bridge Mode, then you might expect to see 600-700 Mbps speeds that way.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/bar/75-lan-to-wan

If you are not seeing comparable results, then the AirPort Extreme is not negotiating speeds correctly with your modem. Unfortunately, Apple removed all of the settings to manually adjust WAN port speeds on the 802.11ac AirPort Extreme, so there is not much that you can do other try a few unusual things.......

One of them would be to insert a Gigabit Ethernet switch between the modem and AirPort Extreme to see if it will negotiate speeds better that way

Another would be to try a crossover Ethernet cable between the modem and AirPort Extreme.

If none of these things help, then you should ask Apple to replace the AirPort Extreme for you and hope for better luck on the next try.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2016 2:06 PM in response to Stevefroth

If the AirPort Extreme 802.11ac is set up as a DHCP and NAT router, then the WAN to LAN speed is going to be limited to about 300-400 Mbps. Check the disappointing results here:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

If the AirPort Extreme is set up in Bridge Mode, then you might expect to see 600-700 Mbps speeds that way.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/bar/75-lan-to-wan

If you are not seeing comparable results, then the AirPort Extreme is not negotiating speeds correctly with your modem. Unfortunately, Apple removed all of the settings to manually adjust WAN port speeds on the 802.11ac AirPort Extreme, so there is not much that you can do other try a few unusual things.......

One of them would be to insert a Gigabit Ethernet switch between the modem and AirPort Extreme to see if it will negotiate speeds better that way

Another would be to try a crossover Ethernet cable between the modem and AirPort Extreme.

If none of these things help, then you should ask Apple to replace the AirPort Extreme for you and hope for better luck on the next try.

Feb 3, 2016 2:09 PM in response to Stevefroth

Although the latest AirPort base stations have 1 Gbps Ethernet ports, they average around 575-600 Mbps of total simultaneous throughput via their WAN/LAN interface (bridge mode) ... so I wouldn't expect that you will see anything like the performance you're seeing just through the modem alone. If getting 800+ Mbps is your goal you may want to consider routers provided by other manufacturers at this point in time.

Feb 4, 2016 9:16 AM in response to Stevefroth

A "crossover" cable has one of its wire pairs switched at the connector. The more common cable is the "straight-thru" type were, as the term implies, all pairs start and end at the same terminal number on the connector ends.

Bob, I believe, asked you to try this to see if it will help your base station negotiate the best possible connection between itself and your modem. Here's one source for this type of cable.

Feb 4, 2016 9:31 AM in response to Stevefroth

I'd have to buy a gigabit switch. I might consider that

Most stores will allow you to return a device if it does not do what you want, but it would be a good idea to ask to make sure that the store will allow you to return the switch if it does not help.

but don't understand the distinction between a crossover cable and a regular ethernet cable.

A crossover cable has a different wiring scheme than a regular Ethernet cable. Some time ago, most manufacturers required that you use a crossover cable between the modem and router. That is not really needed anymore, but the slight change might result in the WAN port on the AirPort Extreme being able to negotiate speeds with the modem more effectively.

We've seem some posts from users who have reported that using a crossover cable really helped their performance.....and some have said that it had no effect at all.

Same advice as above.....check with the store to make sure that you can return the cable if it does not help.

Since you are checking speeds between the AirPort and iMac.....I am assuming that you know that the Ethernet cable is working correctly in that location. A bad cable would still allow a connection.....but it would drop a potential 400+ Mbps connection down to less than 100 Mbps.

The bottom line when you are having problems with Ethernet connection speeds........most of the time, the issue is a bad cable somewhere.

Feb 4, 2016 8:24 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Here's an update: I bought a Netgear gigabit switch and put it between the wall and the airport extreme (using Cat6 cables), running another ethernet cable straight from the changer to the iMac, bypassing the airport extreme. I am now getting around 300 Mbps download and around 930-940 Mbps upload in the iMac. (this is with Speedtest.net in Safari. Speedtest.net in Chrome browser was 665down/431up. Go figure. But off topic)

Wifi on my iphone 5s just tested at 98 Mbps down/81 Mbps up. So this is a lot better and frankly a lot faster than I need for the Imac. Thanks for the help, everyone.

User uploaded file

Gigabit Ethernet through AirPort Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.