Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

protect computer from dust

My computer and the whole room gets a lot of dust for some reason. I live in a room in a house since 8 months and I don't remember having so much dust and so often as when I was living in an apartment as I did for all my life.

And the problems I had with DVD not working, not being recognized, etc was resolve by simply using a DVD lens cleaner (a DVD with little brushes). After I used it, all my DVD's that had problems (and No, I didn't throw it away because I knew they were good) suddenly works with no problems whatsoever!

So I want to protect my computer at night when it is in sleep mode.

I put/hang a plastic bag over the front and it is kept in place by putting a book on the "handle".

There is some space between the front of the computer and the plastic: 5-7 cm (2-3 inches).

Is that enough for the air to circulate? I remove it when I use the computer. This is only at night.*

*Although I hear my computer every morning at 8 am getting on by itself (I suppose that is the work that a computer does at regular time (forgot how you call this; maintenance?) It last a few minutes and then it goes back to sleep mode. (or perhaps it does that in sleep mode?)

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 3:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2016 3:27 PM

That's the problem with an optical drive in the computer, the opening acts as an intake for the cooling air being pushed out the back by the fan. Of course this mostly happens when the computer is actually in use. I don't know there's much you can do other than when you drive finally dies go for an external drive instead.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2016 3:27 PM in response to tony gardino

That's the problem with an optical drive in the computer, the opening acts as an intake for the cooling air being pushed out the back by the fan. Of course this mostly happens when the computer is actually in use. I don't know there's much you can do other than when you drive finally dies go for an external drive instead.

Feb 4, 2016 3:27 PM in response to tony gardino

You said

So I want to protect my computer at night when it is in sleep mode.

I put/hang a plastic bag over the front and it is kept in place by putting a book on the "handle".

There is some space between the front of the computer and the plastic: 5-7 cm (2-3 inches).

Is that enough for the air to circulate? I remove it when I use the computer. This is only at night.*

That should be fine. However, with the 2- inches I do not think it will it will have any measurable effect on dust accumulation.

Feb 4, 2016 8:01 AM in response to tony gardino

I agree with lllaass that the amount of air moved during sleep, and the amount of dust inhaled with it are both nearly negligible.

I think you are most likely to "protect" your Mac from the cooling air it needs, and may cause it to overheat and malfunction.

It is considered routine maintenance to move your Mac Pro silver tower to a place where dust is a "don't care" and use a stream of compressed air to launch the dust airborne and out of your Mac. In most cases, annually is not at all excessive. In your case, perhaps you need to do it a bit more frequently.

Do not allow the plastic tools for a household vacuum cleaner to come anywhere near your Mac. These tools can generate electronics-killing static long before you fell the Zap of a static discharge.

Feb 4, 2016 9:24 AM in response to tony gardino

It is probably enough space when asleep and it is not producing that much heat, but I don't think it will make a difference as far as stopping dust from getting inside. If the fans are not running then there is no air draw and the only thing you are protecting is is dust settling on the top of the case. When you do have significant air draw is during the day and that is when you do not want any covers preventing your computer from getting proper cooling.

Get a can of compressed air and once or twice a year take the computer outside (or you will regret this), open it up and blow out accumulated dust. My inclination is to not get too close with the air because it comes out pretty cold and I am worried about suddenly freezing a chip. I live in a house where dust accumulates on things noticeably within a week and that's how I do it with my computer which runs 24/7.

I guess one thing you could try would be to place some kind of cover or foam over the actual optical drive door unless you use it 5 times a day. I don't think it is part of the intentional airflow cooling design and it might reduce intake directly into the drive.

Feb 4, 2016 4:18 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Some years ago, I gave my old computer (a G4 at the time) to repair and before giving it back to me, the guy took the computer outside on the sidewalk, took something the size of a fire extinguisher, told me to step back and blasted my computer! Oh My! It was POWERFUL!!! I was afraid he will displace some parts inside! I guess I can take my computer to him once a year and ask him to do this. Not sure if I will do that twice a year. I might even wait until a DVD acts up. Or perhaps do this once a year no matter what.

protect computer from dust

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.