Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can i monitor temps on MBP 2015

Hey guys i have a Mac Book Pro 13inch retina 2015, i was wondering what is the best program to download a safe temp monitor for it, as i was playing minecraft and felt my computer get pretty warm. Im curious to see what my temps are. I have heard of Istat Pro and SMCfancontrol but i do not know where to download them. A link to the proper website would be appreciated, because i heard that if i go to the wrong site it could instal malware on my mac. Thanks guys and help will be appreciated!!

OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 2:30 PM

7 replies

Feb 3, 2016 3:34 PM in response to Kole2080

There is no "safe" software to monitor the temperature. Those that attempt to change the fan speeds or measure the temperature may not always be reading the right sensor, and might inadvertently try to get the fan to operate when it shouldn't or vice versa. Read this tip if you suspect there is an overheating issue:

kmb kmbp: How to deal with MacBook Pro and MacBook heat?

Feb 3, 2016 4:02 PM in response to Kole2080

I've run smcFanControl and SSD Fan Control on Snow Leopard Macs (I still run SSD Fan Control on my iMac, because when I replaced the Apple disk with a Seagate, I lost the special custom disk firmware that the Late 2009 27" iMac used to monitor the disk temp; SSD Fan Control made up for that loss).

<http://www.eidac.de/?cat=40>

<http://exirion.net/ssdfanctrl/>

Generally I DO NOT run fan controls on my Macbook Pro, and I never ran them on my iMac (until the hardware change forced it on me).

Feb 5, 2016 7:50 AM in response to BobHarris

Its not so much the fact that I want to change the fan speeds, it's that I want to know the temperature of my cpu, or any component of my Mac, do You guys believe it is safe to run minecraft on my Mac book pro, or does it put to much straine on it. It feels really warm after just playing for a little and it worries me.

Feb 5, 2016 7:57 PM in response to Kole2080

If the Minecraft recommended system requirements include the mobility chip on your MacBook Pro and CPU, then it probably is OK.

However, if they do not include your specific graphics chip, or your specific CPU, there is a chance a best effort to approximate those requirements is being done by the game. Now under normal circumstances, software should not cause hardware to fail. But if the safeguards of that hardware are not in good shape, it is theoretically possible you could get the system to overheat. Notebooks inherently generate a lot of heat. Sometimes the CPU will approach the boiling point of water. Cooling pads with fans exist. And Apple in most of its notebooks has some sort of ventilation. Installing too much RAM can potentially create a problem. Or if there was a motherboard replacement it might not have been done right. It is better if your machine is under a year old, to get AppleCare, to extend your warranty to 3 years from date of computer's purchase. That way, if there is a motherboard issue, Apple can fix it for free.

How can i monitor temps on MBP 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.