Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

prohibitory symbol 2008 iMac

On Friday I was using my iMac and it started going very slow. I tried to shut down but an application interfered and the computer seemed to be frozen. I forced shut down. I tried to start back up and I get the prohibitory symbol. Safe mode does not come up neither does recovery mode. I tried resetting the pram and it did not help. What is going on? What can I do?

iMac, iOS 7

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 8:40 PM

7 replies

Feb 12, 2016 6:15 PM in response to lilyholic

You can use a backup or bootable clone if you have one. Hold alt (a.k.a option) at startup to select the other disk for booting.

NOTE: Time Machine backups are not bootable, you still need an install disk to 'restore'.

Without the system disks there is little you can do unless you have access to another Mac that has 10.6 installed?

Macs running 10.6 do not have 'recovery mode' that was introduced after that OS - so that is normal.

You will need to hit Ebay, Amazon or Apple.com to purchase the disks to stand a chance of examining or repairing the Mac.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

The original disks have Apple hardware test included, that can sometimes highlight some hardware issues.

Another option is to try booting from another disk (like a USB drive), but you still need an OS X installer to get the OS installed to USB!

You can also try a genius appointment Apple store, but they may not help with such an old OS & Mac.

Feb 12, 2016 6:43 PM in response to lilyholic

lilyholic wrote:

Thanks so much.

If I buy a backup disk, will it erase all of the files on the computer or will it just reinstall the OS?
I have some photos I do not want to be erased.

Thanks!
Jennifer

I don't really understand what you are asking.

Buy a copy of 10.6 and you can (re)install it. The 10.6 disc also has tools to allow you to backup the internal disk onto an external one. That could be safer than reinstalling over the top of the old one.

If you are having difficulty, visit an Apple store or find an Apple service centre, they may be able to help for a fee.

prohibitory symbol 2008 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.