Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How upgrade from OS X 10.7.5 to newest version?

I have a MacBook (2008) unable to upgrade from os x 10.7.5 to at least 10.10 so I can update my Quicken for Mac. When I tried to upgrade, it said it could not be upgraded and when I clicked on "Learn more" tab, it didn't go anywhere. My memory usage has 16.59 remaining space. How do I do the update? What can be wrong w/ my computer.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5), null

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 9:11 PM

17 replies

Feb 4, 2016 9:11 AM in response to old3Gplz

old3Gplz wrote:

I have a MacBook (2008) unable to upgrade from os x 10.7.5 to at least 10.10 so I can update my Quicken for Mac.

Here is a post that I recently assembled for Mac users of Quicken:

Quicken 2007 for Mac has been continuously upgraded for OS X compatibility, including Yosemite and now El Capitan.

You can obtain Quicken 2007 for Mac for $15 using the Intuit online chat function.

Use the chat feature for Quicken for Mac: Quicken 2007 for Lion: Shopping and Buying: Buying Quicken on this page:

http://www.quicken.com/contact-us

User uploaded file [click on image to enlarge]

Be sure to use the Online Upgrade feature once you install it; as of this writing it is version 16.2.3

If you are using Quicken 2004 or earlier, you first need to convert the data file to Quicken 2005/6/7 data format while still running on a PPC Mac, or in Snow Leopard on an Intel Mac:

Download Quicken 2006 (PPC) from Intuit:

https://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/patching/quicken-2006-manual-updates--ma c-/GEN82200.html

Open your data file in Quicken 2006 (PPC) and it will automatically convert it to a Quicken 2005/6/7 data file.

AVOID Quicken 2015 for Mac as it is a misleading upgrade of Quicken Essentials for Mac (and not Quicken 2007), which is generally loathed by all real Quicken for Mac 2007 and previous users! I purchased Quicken 2016 for Mac, when offered a discount by Intuit, and was generally underwhelmed by its capabilities compared to my continued use of Quicken 2007.

Feb 4, 2016 2:37 PM in response to MlchaelLAX

Thank you Michael. I have Quicken Essentials v 1.7.4 c2010-2013. It's not allowing me to sync transactions with the banks anymore. Previous emails said I had to upgrade to have the capability. What are your suggestions for me being that I have a 2010 version? Is there a step up that I can upgrade to that will work w/ my MacBook and allow me to sync w/ internet?

Feb 4, 2016 6:25 PM in response to old3Gplz

Intuit recently sent out a Security Alert Bulletin for those not using Quicken 2015 or 2016 to upgrade to Yosemite or El Capitan in order to maintain security when using transaction downloads. Neil says that your computer is limited to OS X Lion, which you are already using.

Let me pursue some discussion with you about your needs, so that we can better focus on your solution.

You want to "sync" transactions with your banks.

I personally use Quicken 2007 for Mac (upgraded to version 16.2.3 which is compatible for El Capitan, but I run it in OS X Lion 10.7, like you. I personally am loathe to give any piece of software, let alone one from Intuit, all of my financial institutions log-on names and passwords, in this day and age of identity theft.

Are you familiar with QIF downloads? Most financial institutions will allow you to go to their website and each month download all of your statement transactions in a format known as QIF. You can then manually IMPORT this into the proper account in most Intuit programs. This is how I enter most of my transactions into Quicken. Are you willing to work in this fashion?

I am not sure if your version of Quicken Essentials has the capability to import QIF, since its feature set is more stripped down than Quicken 2007.

If you still need download capability and/or Q.E. does not have the import of QIF capability, then we need to discuss the next possible steps.

I wait to hear from you.

Feb 5, 2016 11:29 AM in response to MlchaelLAX

MichaelLAX,

That is all that was provided. I gave up on Intuit after that. I tried to take them up on their 10% off offer for Quicken 2015, but got an, "offer expired" notification for my troubles.

Then I investigated alternatives only to have web site popups from Intuit offering me 30% off. And, now they are trying to sell Quicken off.

I now using MoneyDance.

Feb 5, 2016 11:41 AM in response to Lanny

Lanny wrote:

Thank you Michael. I have Quicken Essentials v 1.7.4 c2010-2013. It's not allowing me to sync transactions with the banks anymore.

It has nothing to do with the version of OS X.

It has EVERYTHING to do with the version of OS X:

Quicken Essentials requires Snow Leopard or newer; but no longer supports direct internet downloads of financial information.

The OP cannot update past his current OS X Lion on his existing Mac.

Quicken 2016 for Mac requires Yosemite or El Capitan

Quicken 2015 for Mac requires Lion or newer, if it is still available for purchase, and has received almost universal condemnation from users and reviewers.

Quicken 2007 for Mac requires Snow Leopard or newer, allows for IMPORT of QIF files downloaded manually from financial institutions, and continues to support direct internet downloads of financial information, ONLY IF the user can update to Mac OS X 10.9 or later.

Hence the OP's options in OS X Lion are:

IF Quicken Essentials supports this feature: Use manual downloading of QIF files from his financial institutions to IMPORT into Q.E.

Convert to the more robust, Quicken 2007 for Mac for $15 from Intuit, and use manual downloading of QIF files from his financial institutions to IMPORT into Quicken 2007.

Purchase Quicken 2015 for Mac, if it is still available for purchase, and continue to use automatic download of financial information directly into it.

How upgrade from OS X 10.7.5 to newest version?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.