Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ios 9.2.1 Ipad2 problems

Does anyone have problems with their iPad running ios 9.2.1? I have a iPad 2 that keeps freezing, or crashing ever since the safari issues.

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 8:34 PM

8 replies

Feb 3, 2016 10:05 PM in response to michaelfromnorth miami beach

A disclaimer.

I make no guarantees, expressed or implied, that any of my own procedures will return EVERY older iPad to a usable, running condition.

Try all of the following:

Try resetting All Settings found in the Settings App under General and in the right column under Reset.

Try resetting histories and deleting/resetting caches in all of the web browsers you use.

If you use Safari, these functions maybe in the Settings App under Safari.

Other web browsers have their settings inside of the running app, itself

If your iPad has been activated for iCloud, in the Settings App under iCloud, to the right, under iCloud Drive, tap iCloud Drive and make sure Safari is turned off for saving Safari data to iCloud Drive.

Also, under iCloud in the Settings App, in iCloud Drive, disable the saving feature for any other apps that you DO NOT want data being saved automatically to iCloud Drive.

If using Safari is still causing issues,

Try changing/using another, different third party web browser.

I don't use iOS Safari too much any longer because I found it causing me some headaches on certain websites I, regularly, visit.

I commonly use another third party web browser, Perfect Web Browser (there are others that may suit your web browsing style better, so look at all of them first to see which third party browser may work better for you) and I never experience a lot of the issues that Safari was causing.

In the Settings App under the General tab, to the right under Spotlight sesrch, try disabling the search under apps that really do not need a search, like some games, remotes, apps that really do not need to be searched, etc., to reduce the list for Spotlight to search.

Try turning on Reduced Motion.

This is found in the Settings App in the General tab the left panel.

In the right panel look under Accessibility, the look for Reduce Motion and turn this feature "On".

You should see an appreciable performance increase on all iPad 2, 3 and 4 models.

In the Settings App under the General Tab, in the right column, look for Background App Refresh and turn this setting to "off".

If you are willing to do this (I, personally, wouldn't recommend this), some users have reported that turning off Find My Phone/iPad, in Settings App under iCloud, has improved iOS performance, although I don't how this feature could be causing such a performance slowdown, unless its a bug in iOS that is only affecting some iPad users.

Try another hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

Good Luck!

Feb 9, 2016 11:06 AM in response to michaelfromnorth miami beach

iPad 2 here. Kids use it. Worked fine for the past two years. This morning, right before we took off for vacation, I noticed an updated for the iOS. Clicked update to 9.2.1, and after some time, upon reboot, the update progress bar was stuck. Rebooting didn't help. Nothing works, won't start-up. It's asking me to connect it to iTunes. I don't even have the old sync cable for this iPad anymore (who does?). Great thing to happen before our two weeks away from home. Thanks Apple.

Feb 9, 2016 5:45 PM in response to gordonf238

Not Apple's fault, at all!

Your iPad has gone into recovery mode.

Who still has the connection cables? Really???

I still have all my connection cables. I can imagine most users do. iDevice users know to keep these connection cables handy.

How do you keep the iPad 2 charged up without a the 30 pin sync/charging dock connection cable?

The cable you charge your iPad with is the one you use to connect your iPad to a computer using iTunes.

You NEED these to anything with an iDevice.

Especially needed to backup the data on an iDevice to iTunes on a computer.

My guess is you have never backed up any important data that maybe on your iPad in all the time you have owned it.

You need to restore your iPad to its factory settings.

If you never had backed up your iPad, if you purchase a new 30 pin dock connector ( you can find these for sale online, good luck finding these in local electronics stores)

Plug you iPad into your computer with iTunes installed on it.

By some miracle, if you can backup your iPad to iTunes, do it!

Then perform the restore process. The restore process WILL completely erase everything on your iPad.

Use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Once your iPad is restored as new, if you able to save a backup, you can now restore that data backup to your iPad to return your iPad to its previous configuration.

If not, then you will have to redownload everything you ever downloaded and/orbpurchased on your iPad

Good Luck!

Feb 9, 2016 5:54 PM in response to gordonf238

Follow my above list of cures/solutions to speed up the performance of your iPad 2 on iOS 9.2.1

Also, here are some more of my very sage tips and advice to follow in the future to keep your iDevices running well and, relatively, glitch free.

You need to have some method and/or more robust and stable hardware to periodically save your mobile device data to.

A mobile computing device is NOT a permanent place to your store important data to. These devices are not as matured, stable and robust enough technology as a full blown laptop or desktop computer to trust for long-term data storage.

You need to have, at least, one other more robust and reliable source to store your important and precious data and images that you never want to lose.

Even on a more robust computer, you need to have/should have a backup of your important data on your computer, that you never want to lose, in case of hard drive failure or some other computer failure.

FYI, cloud storage is fine, still much better to save to a local source like a computer or WiFi enabled portable and external hard drives designed to use with mobile devices.

These are available from Seagate or Western Digital and there is even a new WiFi enabled USB Flash drive from SanDisk called the SanDisk Connect that comes in a variety of storage sizes that works with any iDevice.

My advice on doing ANY iOS upgrades/updates for the future.

Ideally, your iDevice should maintain a minimum free storage amount of 4- 6 GBs or greater on any iDevice (the more free space, the better) , plus, more than 50%-60% battery status to ensure proper operation, as well as, to ensure the possibility of a successful iOS upgrade/update installation.

In addition it is best to upgrade an iDevice connected up to a computer running iTunes with you iDevice sync'd and backed up through iTunes rather than Over The Air (OTA) using a wireless WiFi connection, if this is possible.

Doing a major or critical OS upgrade/update can be risky to do over Wifi or cellular due to the potential of data interruption or data drop outs causing issues with the download of the OS data and the subsequent install to the device.

If you have no other choice than to use Wifi, then make sure you have a strong and stable connection signal the will not induce the potential for data drop outs.

Also, it is better to do the upgrade/update through iTunes as you'll get the entire upgrade/update and not just a smaller sized WiFi download version/portion that is based on your model iDevice that may or may not download everything your particular iDevice needs.

I prefer the iTunes method as there is minimal risk and I have never had ANY issues with ANY OS updates using this method.

Ios 9.2.1 Ipad2 problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.