Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I get a decent resolution from my Macbook Air with an external monitor?

Macbook Air 13" (Early 2014)

I've purchased a lovely Samsung S32E590C 32" monitor but can't get above 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz (1080p) using thunderbolt to HDMI. The resolution is so low I can't use the screen properly. I'm worried that I won't be able to get any better resolution with my Macbook Air and will have to sell the monitor...

Suggestions please.

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), null

Posted on Feb 3, 2016 9:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 7:18 PM

Hi sansthwaites,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! I'm sorry to hear you are having these issues with your MacBook Air and your new display. I'm sure we can help you figure out what may be going on.

Based on your described model, it does appear that the Early 2014 MacBook Air should be able to output a somewhat higher resolution to an external display, as noted here:

Graphics and Video Support

• Intel HD Graphics 5000
  • Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014) - Technical Specifications

However, the max resolution possible may be limited by the connection type, and/or the specific adapter you are using. For example, this Mini-DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter supports up to 4K (~3840 x 2160) resolution:

Belkin 4K Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter - Apple

...while this Mini-DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter only supports 1920 x 1200:

Amazon.com: AmazonBasics Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt) to HDMI Adapter: Computers & Accessories

So how you connect to an external display can definitely affect the maximum resolution possible. In this particular case, though, I suspect that the issue is actually the display itself, as the Samsung S32E590C display appears to list a max resolution of 1920 x 1080:

Support - Curved Monitors S32E590C | Samsung Monitors

Hopefully this was helpful.

Cheers

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2016 7:18 PM in response to sansthwaites

Hi sansthwaites,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! I'm sorry to hear you are having these issues with your MacBook Air and your new display. I'm sure we can help you figure out what may be going on.

Based on your described model, it does appear that the Early 2014 MacBook Air should be able to output a somewhat higher resolution to an external display, as noted here:

Graphics and Video Support

• Intel HD Graphics 5000
  • Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014) - Technical Specifications

However, the max resolution possible may be limited by the connection type, and/or the specific adapter you are using. For example, this Mini-DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter supports up to 4K (~3840 x 2160) resolution:

Belkin 4K Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter - Apple

...while this Mini-DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter only supports 1920 x 1200:

Amazon.com: AmazonBasics Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt) to HDMI Adapter: Computers & Accessories

So how you connect to an external display can definitely affect the maximum resolution possible. In this particular case, though, I suspect that the issue is actually the display itself, as the Samsung S32E590C display appears to list a max resolution of 1920 x 1080:

Support - Curved Monitors S32E590C | Samsung Monitors

Hopefully this was helpful.

Cheers

Feb 5, 2016 7:27 PM in response to brenden dv

Thanks for the reply, I thought it may have been the cable so I went and bought another (more expensive) cable and tried that - it was no better, now I see why, it was the screen rather than the cable or my graphics card.

I do find using products from manufacturers other than Apple a bit hit and miss, the results aren't consistent and the sales people usually can't answer my questions.

Yesterday I stumbled upon instructions for using an iMac for a screen, my old imac isn't being used much, is still in excellent condition, and is so much cheaper than a new mac screen, so I bought another cable (thunderbolt to thunderbolt) from the Apple store and tried that.... Perfect! 🙂

Why can't I get a decent resolution from my Macbook Air with an external monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.